Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Stew
Western Oregon

Stew on Jun 11, 2009June 11th, 2009, 7:08 pm EDT
After years of pursuing trout I thought I knew a lot about their behavior. After being proven wrong a few times it seems that I don't know as much as I thought I did.
So with that in mind could someone suggest a good book about trout behavior? Especially in western rivers like Deschutes or Metolius.
Thanks in advance
Please Release All Wild Trout
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 11, 2009June 11th, 2009, 10:02 pm EDT
Stew-

Haven't read Understanding Trout Behavior, as I'm more interested in aquatic insect behavior, but it sounds like what you are seeking.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 12, 2009June 12th, 2009, 2:23 am EDT
Stew,

Having heard good things about the video "The Underwater World of Trout," I've put it in my Netflix queue. I'll try to remember to let you know what you think when it arrives.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jun 12, 2009June 12th, 2009, 2:36 am EDT
Hi Stew,
First, I've not read the book that was suggested. It sounds interesting. I think trout are creatures that react to a stimulus and to genetic characteristics that are built into them. I always thought that Cecil Heacox's THE COMPLETE BROWN TROUT was a very good book for getting to know these characteristics. However, I've been fishing for trout for over 45 years, and the conclusion I've come to is unless you ARE A TROUT, you will have great difficulty understanding their behavior at times, and that, to me, is what makes it interesting. However, with that said, we have to keep trying to understand it, and again, that's what makes it interesting.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jun 12, 2009June 12th, 2009, 6:37 am EDT
Stew,

I'm not sure what level of information you are seeking, but if you haven't read Tom Rosenbauer's Reading Trout Streams (Nick Lyons Books, 1988), I highly recommend it. Although it is not a scholarly tome (at scarcely more than 150 pages), his analysis is based on very solid behavioral understanding and research as well as experience. I've yet to find anyone who didn't find the insights and observations in that book to be practical and valuable.

Quick Reply