Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Grammotaulius betteni (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This is a striking caddis larva with an interesting color pattern on the head. Here are some characteristics I was able to see under the microscope, but could not easily expose for a picture:
- The prosternal horn is present.
- The mandible is clearly toothed, not formed into a uniform scraper blade.
- The seems to be only 2 major setae on the ventral edge of the hind femur.
- Chloride epithelia seem to be absent from the dorsal side of any abdominal segments.
Based on these characteristics and the ones more easily visible from the pictures, this seems to be Grammotaulius. The key's description of the case is spot-on: "Case cylindrical, made of longitudinally arranged sedge or similar leaves," as is the description of the markings on the head, "Dorsum of head light brownish yellow with numerous discrete, small, dark spots." The spot pattern on the head is a very good match to figure 19.312 of Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019). The species ID is based on Grammotaulius betteni being the only species of this genus known in Washington state.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Kroil
Coastal NJ

Kroil on Feb 27, 2008February 27th, 2008, 12:04 pm EST
Guess these two bugs and the beverage brand and I will buy the winner a cold one on the banks of the lower East branch in May...
Here are your clues:

When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. - Jack Handey

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 27, 2008February 27th, 2008, 12:26 pm EST
That's kind of an easy one. :) But I'm in Alaska where I couldn't cash in on that cold one, so I'll let someone else answer.

Incidentally, I did catch a pretty 19-inch brown on the lower East Branch on a dry during that hatch last May.

Now if you want to really challenge people you can ask what that little dark-bodied bug is in the far upper right corner of that top picture.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 27, 2008February 27th, 2008, 12:49 pm EST
Looks like Hennies and Buds to me. The little bug may be a midge. I need my flip focals.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Kroil
Coastal NJ

Kroil on Feb 27, 2008February 27th, 2008, 1:16 pm EST
It is a very satisfying feeling to finally be surrounded by a few that actually walk the talk.

Troutnut, if you are here this spring let me know, I would like to buy you one anyway.
Martin, I am there ten weekends in the spring, and some weekdays, until the water temps tank. It would be my pleasure to sip one with you too. I have some great private accesses and would be happy to show you a few.
When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. - Jack Handey

Kroil
Coastal NJ

Kroil on Feb 27, 2008February 27th, 2008, 1:23 pm EST
PS
You both missed the other bug.

Look a little closer.

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Feb 27, 2008February 27th, 2008, 3:41 pm EST
It does depend on which way you look at it, but I think the one in the top right of the top pic looks like a mayfly dun, probably some sort of Baetid since it looks a little small for Paraleptophlebia at that time of year.

On closer inspection, the bottom mayfly on the beer can is probably Epeorus pleuralis. Clever how you hid him in plain sight. ;)

There are some more of the small mayflies on the water in the lower pictures, too.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Kroil
Coastal NJ

Kroil on Feb 27, 2008February 27th, 2008, 11:26 pm EST
Correct Grasshopper. It amazes me at times how the simplest things can be right under your nose and go unnoticed. It was random luck that quill fly landed on the can but it made for a good picture. And yes, I did pack my cans out as always.

Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 28, 2008February 28th, 2008, 10:21 am EST
OK, Kroil, no fair slipping a Gordon in with the Hennies and Buds. As for that little guy, we're talking about the one on the water, right? Upper right corner? OK, I'll bite; what is it? PM me if you want to keep the extra credit portion of the exam active.

As for fishing the East Branch I'd be very happy to join you if we can coordinate a time. I've only fished it twice, but caught my first Delaware brown there. I'll never forget that day!

--Fred Chappell
Kroil
Coastal NJ

Kroil on Feb 28, 2008February 28th, 2008, 10:25 am EST
Upper right corner?
Insectimus smallimus.

Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 28, 2008February 28th, 2008, 12:57 pm EST
I thought so. But haven't they been reclassified as tinimus midgimatus?

--Fred Chappell
Kinzua
W. PA

Kinzua on Feb 28, 2008February 28th, 2008, 1:52 pm EST
The second photo looks like Hendrickson stew.

Ducfat
Ducfat on Mar 7, 2008March 7th, 2008, 2:02 pm EST
The beer is bugweiser. The bugs are stoned flies!
Kroil
Coastal NJ

Kroil on Mar 8, 2008March 8th, 2008, 12:11 am EST
Thats funny Ducfat. I'm gonna use that one in another post. Thanks.

Ducfat
Ducfat on Mar 8, 2008March 8th, 2008, 1:24 pm EST
Anytime!

Quick Reply