Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Kroil
Coastal NJ

Kroil on Mar 13, 2008March 13th, 2008, 5:30 am EDT
This is a tough one and I will give you some clues if nobody gets the right answer.

When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. - Jack Handey

Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 13, 2008March 13th, 2008, 6:24 am EDT
My guess would be some sort of marine crustacean.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Murphlax34
Murphlax34 on Mar 13, 2008March 13th, 2008, 6:27 am EDT
An Upside down Deer Tick???
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 13, 2008March 13th, 2008, 7:02 am EDT
Deleted by poster.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 13, 2008March 13th, 2008, 8:48 am EDT
Matt-

Disgusting little Pthirid, that. Actually, the proper spelling is Pthirus pubis. Now I'm left to wonder, what on earth will Louis think about this?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 13, 2008March 13th, 2008, 10:08 am EDT
After seeing the answer, I'm very glad I didn't know it.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Kroil
Coastal NJ

Kroil on Mar 13, 2008March 13th, 2008, 11:09 am EDT
Dind Ding ding ding ding...
Survey says:
CORRECT!
I found this little bugger and about 400 of his friends in my waders.
It appears that they, like ephemoptera, need moist, nutrient rich environments to survive.
WBranch wins this contest and I am sending him a broken vial of specimens to examine further.
Anyone else want some specimens?
Seems I have a surplus right now.
When I found the skull in the woods, the first thing I did was call the police. But then I got curious about it. I picked it up, and started wondering who this person was, and why he had deer horns. - Jack Handey

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 13, 2008March 13th, 2008, 1:17 pm EDT
Deleted by poster so as not to upset our host.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 13, 2008March 13th, 2008, 2:24 pm EDT
Just when this thread is headed toward needing moderation, I, the only moderator, have decided to bail on it and not check back... you're on your own, guys. Good luck! :-P
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 13, 2008March 13th, 2008, 4:30 pm EDT
If trout don't eat it, it doesn't get a reaction from me. . . . Hmmm . . . I wonder if they just might. OK, take several skinnydipping hippies (or politicians) in the Main Stem and some midge eating trout downstream looking for something new to munch on . . .

Now for the extra credit part of the exam: Matt, what size hook do I need to tie an imitation? And Kroil, just how did they get in your waders? Who have you been letting wear them? . . . and do I need to rethink our proposed fishing trip (due to my answer to the first exam)? Much food for thought here.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply