Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

GoofusBug
GoofusBug on Jan 1, 2009January 1st, 2009, 4:28 pm EST
When doing a load of laundry recently, I noticed that the dryer lint from that load looked like decent dubbing material.

Anyone ever used it for such a purpose?
Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Jan 2, 2009January 2nd, 2009, 12:01 am EST
Yes, I have myself, and I believe that other people use it pretty frequently. I think its great for small nymphs.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jan 2, 2009January 2nd, 2009, 2:17 am EST
I'm almost afraid to ask, but... has anyone used belly button lint for dubbing?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Jan 2, 2009January 2nd, 2009, 4:29 am EST
My kIND-A POST finaly I'm an expert.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but... has anyone used belly button lint for dubbing?
Jason Neuswanger
The Troutnut

I like to use Lingerie dub (when I can lay my hands on it)here's a great link--http://www2.victoriassecret.com/collection/?cgname=OSSLPLGEZZZ&cgnbr=OSSLPLGEZZZ&rfnbr=5366&page=all&cm_mmc=Google-_-Lingerie%20III_General-_-Exact-_-women%27s%20lingerie

Well well do you notice lingerie ends with Martinlf ( Louis) favorite new fishing spot.

Thanks this was fun:)

JAD (old timer)

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jan 2, 2009January 2nd, 2009, 5:45 am EST
Thank you JAD,
This topic is becoming quite interesting. I visited your suggested site and found the selection revealing. I asked myself, with such a large choice of offering how does one choose? My answer, use your imagination.

Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
GoofusBug
GoofusBug on Jan 2, 2009January 2nd, 2009, 8:19 am EST
I might use my own BBL, but not Troutnut's.
Leakywaders
New England

Leakywaders on Jan 2, 2009January 2nd, 2009, 10:49 am EST
Since you are talking about lint....

I found all of my dubbed bodies had a blue tint, couldn't figure it out till I realized I was wiping the excess dubbing wax on my jeans, and picking up the blue lint.

Perhaps HER belly button lint....
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!
Sandfly
tioga co. pa.

Sandfly on Jan 3, 2009January 3rd, 2009, 12:31 am EST
I prefer toe jam fuzz, has a nice dark color and fish love the smell, well at least catfish do...
sandfly
shop owner
N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. 688
I didn't Escape------They gave me a day pass !
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 3, 2009January 3rd, 2009, 5:34 am EST
If some didn't get JAD's allusion to lingerie ending in my new favorite fishing site, I've capitalized the first letter of it in the target word: LingErie. Very witty, John, with the allusion to steelhead fishing. I see from the site you recommend that you've found a way to combine two great interests of many flyfishermen--and perhaps some flyfisherwomen. I just wonder what Taxon thinks of all this . . .
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jan 3, 2009January 3rd, 2009, 8:19 am EST
Louis,

I just wonder what Taxon thinks of all this . . .

As long as you asked, Taxon cleans out the trap before each use of the dryer, but has never actually tried any of the lint for fly tying. The fibers just don't feel substantial enough for use as dubbing. As to some of the more gross suggestions, hmmmmmm.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Hellgramite
Southern calif.

Hellgramite on Jan 5, 2009January 5th, 2009, 7:55 am EST
Not to sound crude but i met a guy several years ago who would shave his girlfriend and use it for the hackle on dry flys.He called the fly a "Muffy" Just thought you all would be interested.Has anyone herd of this?
GoofusBug
GoofusBug on Jan 6, 2009January 6th, 2009, 2:34 pm EST
Would these be essential for tying the Bitch Creek variations?
Leakywaders
New England

Leakywaders on Jan 8, 2009January 8th, 2009, 1:07 pm EST
I shared this post with HERSELF.

I was told that if Fredricks of Hollywood, ever gets on any of my flies, I wiuld get a free trip to the bottom of Bitch Creek. Then she resorted to the vocabulary she learned in the Navy...
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Jan 9, 2009January 9th, 2009, 1:03 am EST
Well no dubbing their.

JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Jan 12, 2009January 12th, 2009, 2:53 am EST
couple points on dubbing. first a question. I'm dubbing a body and my fingers are a little dry. i wipe my fingers across my forehead and pick up a little oil from my skin. its now easier to dub. the question, you think the fish smell my scent in the dubbing? on dries or wets? the reason i ask is because i read that a bear has a scent that is on their coat that a fish can smell downstream, I can't remember what its called but the article said humans have this same compound. second just a point that I work in a furniture store and there are rugs in front of just about every living room set. I can take my foot and move it back and forth on just about any rug and i'll have a store bought size amount of dubbing in about a minute. and it dubs beautifully, no forehead oil needed.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Jan 12, 2009January 12th, 2009, 3:38 am EST
GoofusBug old buddy, if you eat a lot of fish or take fish oil pills you will smell like a fish---just kidding.

I guess we should all tie and fish with rubber gloves,you can always hang a maggot of the end of your flies .
(check this out.) http://www.tackletour.com/reviewtstrout.html

JAD

Hellgramite
Southern calif.

Hellgramite on Jan 14, 2009January 14th, 2009, 5:13 am EST
Just a note:My wife makes jewelry and I went to the store with her the other day {CRAFT STORE}and found all kinds of yarn,feathers,copper wire,you name it it was there.And all for about half the cost at the fly shop.Has anyone found this as a source for matt.?
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Jan 14, 2009January 14th, 2009, 12:37 pm EST
You bet ,great resource

JaD

Quick Reply