Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

David82nd
David82nd's profile picture
Upstate,New York

David82nd on Jun 22, 2017June 22nd, 2017, 10:46 pm EDT
Beginning of week I went to the Beaverkill , it was really turbid, and up
Two days later perfect conditions , yesterday was a pleasure to be in the river .
Been quiet around here as of late ?, vacations or just hitting the rivers?
Be safe ,have fun , " tie-some
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 23, 2017June 23rd, 2017, 7:19 am EDT
Crappy weather! Raining or blowing or both...plus family issues for me. So, my fishing schedule is waaaay behind this season, hoping to catch up here sometime soon. IF we get any stable weather, that is...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
David82nd
Upstate,New York

David82nd on Jun 23, 2017June 23rd, 2017, 7:43 am EDT
Good luck .. the weather has been nice here , waters aren't dried up like last summer , imdo think the Hatches are off a bit though , but any day in the river is a good day , I'll be back in on Monday , don't fish on weekend the crowds aren't worth it , lol
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Jun 23, 2017June 23rd, 2017, 9:39 am EDT
Ditto on Jonathon's comments, The Muskegon is near flood stage and has yet to crest due to near 7" rainfall over much of area upriver. Pretty much all streams around here are way over wading levels.

Headin' for the UP next week, an 11 day trek and no real timetable or schedule to follow...just rambling around from one stream to the next!

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jun 23, 2017June 23rd, 2017, 10:04 am EDT
Fished Tuesday on a popular Michigan river, the weather sucked, lots of wind!All I had to do was pick my line up and let the wind carry at will. I caught lots of small fish and maybe 3 decent fish, all browns. It would be nice to have some nice stable weather, and now I see this river is blown out. I hope things get better before Tuesday, that's fishing with Mike day. I gotta new rod for my 60 th birthday a gloomis nrx 5 wt. man I love that thing! So for the Michigan crew heres to no rain and no wind for a while.
Mike.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Jun 24, 2017June 24th, 2017, 12:55 am EDT
Addendum to high flows and flood stages,

I frequently check the USGS WaterWatch website for Michigan and get real time flows in CFS and depths for specific sites the streams I fish, plus a lot of others I have yet to wade. Lots of data such as historical flows, mean/extreme, percentile ratings and more...I can compare the information with what was happening my last time on stream and get a good idea as to wading safely or not.

OR simply note that things are in the "98th percentile and 356% of normal flow' which is pretty indicative of 'don't even think about it'.

I would guess since this is a National service it would be available for most or all states as well. A good resource, IMHO.

Roguerat

"Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
David82nd
Upstate,New York

David82nd on Jun 24, 2017June 24th, 2017, 1:08 am EDT
Wow sounds like you Michigan boys are having tough weather , hopefully it eases up for you guys ,
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jun 24, 2017June 24th, 2017, 1:19 pm EDT
Rouge you are so right, the USGS site is my favorite, I check it at least two to three times a day. This is a helpful site that I don't mind paying for, with that said things still look kinda of shakey next week. We don't need any more rain for a while, had 4 inches Thursday. Oh well just gotta deal with it.
Mike.

Quick Reply