Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Leakywaders
New England

Leakywaders on Dec 19, 2008December 19th, 2008, 5:06 am EST
A lot of my dry flies have bent hackles and need to be steamed. I have always held them one at a time over a tea pot with a spout. When I told Anne that we needed a tea pot with a spout, she said (gory details omitted) to put them all in a double boiler and steam them all at once. Will that work, or will the flies get fried? Anne has a fear that I'll spend all winter steaming flies in the kitchen. I think she just wants me to make cookies.
Drag free??? If the fly didn't drag, I wouldn't know where it was!!
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Dec 19, 2008December 19th, 2008, 6:23 am EST
I'm not sure the double boiler is a good idea, however, I've often put a few in a good sized tea strainer/sieve and steamed them over a simmering kettle (with a spout). We have a whistling metal kettle that works very well. At a simmer, it doesn't whistle quite as much, but it puts out a stream.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Dec 19, 2008December 19th, 2008, 7:10 am EST
I think steaming your old flies is a good idea. I recondition my flies at the end of the year. Your from the neck of the woods that you should recognize the name Ray Bergman. In his book Trout Mr Bergman has a dry fly cleaner and floatant that is made from white gas(Colman )and wax. I think it the best that ever been made,been using it for 40 years but then I'm from the old school.

JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Dec 19, 2008December 19th, 2008, 12:09 pm EST
Steaming them should be fine for most, but dye colors can bleed and fade from the steam. So I wouldn't put any flies in together that might stain each other or any flies with materials of different colors that you don't want blending together.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply