Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

CamWolf1313
Andover, MA/ Andover NH

CamWolf1313 on Aug 1, 2008August 1st, 2008, 3:24 pm EDT
I'm looking for a new salt water/big trout fly rod. My friend suggested a Colton Tradewinds 9 Weight Saltwater Fly Rod and it looked pretty nice. I think that I would like a 9 wt. but i'm open for suggestions.
"Clear your mind of everything but the fish and the fly and you will be in the right mind frame to land it"
Billy Berger.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 1, 2008August 1st, 2008, 3:42 pm EDT
An owner of a saltwater shop recommended the Temple Fork saltwater models to me once when I was thinking about getting a bigger rod. I have only done a little fishing in the brine, and my 8 weight has been sufficient for what I did, but if I ever move close to the shore this is probably the rod I'll buy.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Grannom
Northwest PA

Grannom on Aug 2, 2008August 2nd, 2008, 10:44 am EDT
How much do you wanna spend? TFO has some awesome rods for the salt. TiCrX is a cannon and TiCr is a nice rod. I can't think of any trout that you'd need a 9wt. for though.

Mike
"Be calm - you're there..." "...Tell yourself there's no rush, even if there is."

-John Gierach
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 3, 2008August 3rd, 2008, 4:31 am EDT
Check your PM's.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Aug 3, 2008August 3rd, 2008, 10:11 am EDT
I bought a tfo pro last year in an 8wt for salt and it worked great. I think it was about $150. An 8wt should be fine for fish up to 20#. I do have a friend who regularly plays in the salt and he just bought a sage Xi2 it's a very sweet rod if you want to part w/ about $700. However I think it would be a little stiff for freshwater.
Jeff
Trtklr
Banned
Michigan

Trtklr on Aug 8, 2008August 8th, 2008, 6:30 am EDT
I have had my eye on a tfo ticrx 6wt for some time now it will be my steelhead rod when the money comes. $229.99 last time I looked at cabelas, life time warranty, great feel.
I have seen nothing more beautiful than the sunrise on a cold stream.

Quick Reply