Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on Apr 30, 2008April 30th, 2008, 4:26 pm EDT
Has anyone seen the flows in the Catskill Rivers?
It makes me shudder. East Branch is about 1/3rd.
normal for date.

Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 1, 2008May 1st, 2008, 7:21 am EDT
I was thinking that we've had enough rain in the NE to have all streams at good levels. But the damn people do control Delaware flows (no misspelling) How's the West Branch looking? Around here there is plenty of water.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Flybyknight
Milton, DE

Flybyknight on May 1, 2008May 1st, 2008, 9:46 am EDT
Louis,
West Branch at Hale Eddy normal is 875 cfs,
while today it is 250 cfs.

Beaver Kill at Cooks Falls normal is 650 cfs,
while today it is at 380 cfs.

Pity the poor fly shops.

Dick
Lightly on the dimpling eddy fling;
the hypocritic fly's unruffled wing.
Thomas Scott
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 1, 2008May 1st, 2008, 1:49 pm EDT
Fishs Eddy is just 650 cfs and main is just 1050 cfs. That is almost the minimum for me to float the Hyde w/o dragging in three places. WB is too low to float even with a pontoon boat or kayak.

I'm going up tomorrow for three days and will provide a report Sunday night.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 1, 2008May 1st, 2008, 4:52 pm EDT
Unbelievable. What happened to the flow plan? Let me know how things are looking.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 1, 2008May 1st, 2008, 8:57 pm EDT
Hey, look on the bright side... you can still drive a truck across many of the rivers up here!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply