Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

CouxJoe
Greenville, SC

CouxJoe on Nov 4, 2007November 4th, 2007, 2:20 pm EST
I was fishing a stream in the Carolinas over the weekend when a hatch of cream colored adult Chironomids began to swarm around like snowflakes. After asking some people around what they were I was told that they were cream midges.
I am interested in tying larval and pupal stages of this insect, but don't know what they are called in order to image search them. Could someone suggest a name or two for these cream colored chironomids? When the wind blew it really looked like snow fall or wood ash flying around. I apologize for being so vague, and I thank you for any help you may suggest in a name for these "cream midges".
sorry no pics, my camera is to old capture them. Thanks again for any suggestions!
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Nov 4, 2007November 4th, 2007, 5:11 pm EST
CouxJoe-

There are aproximately 2,000 species of Chironomids (members of family Chironomidae) in N. America, and perhaps 50-100 species represented in the average body of water. If you are attempting to find representative photos, I would recommend BugGuide - Family Chironomidae (Midges).

However, Chironomids are extremely difficult to reliably identify even to genus, let alone to species, except by taxonomists who specialize in them. So, you may need to be content with continuing to refer to your hatch as cream colored adult Chironomids.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
CouxJoe
Greenville, SC

CouxJoe on Nov 5, 2007November 5th, 2007, 8:35 am EST
Thanks for taking the time to respond!
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Nov 6, 2007November 6th, 2007, 5:20 am EST
CouxJoe,
Sorry I can’t help you with a name but I do have a suggestion. Purchase a small seine some small vials and some bug balmer. Capture some specimens and tie to imitate. I have been doing this for years and I love it. You may want to refer to “ Midge Magic” by Don Holbrook & Ed Koch an excellent reference for the midge fisher.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Jun 21, 2012June 21st, 2012, 4:17 pm EDT
falsifly - we just had a little discussion on preservatives. Is "bug balmer" another technical product I should know about? Or perhaps gin or another alcoholic beverage I may not like? I hope it is not port!
creno
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jun 22, 2012June 22nd, 2012, 9:57 am EDT
Here you go Dave,

Or perhaps gin or another alcoholic beverage I may not like?

Jack says he's offended.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."

Quick Reply