Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Keeper33
Wisconsin

Keeper33 on Oct 23, 2009October 23rd, 2009, 5:28 am EDT
Well I do most of my trout fishing in streams and have only gone fishing at a trout pond once in colder weather. I caught a few rainbows on an olive woolly bugger and an brown woolly bugger. I was just wondering if you know of any patterns that have worked for you guys.

Tight lines guys!
"Listen to the sound of the river and you will get a trout."

~Irish proverb~
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Oct 23, 2009October 23rd, 2009, 7:07 am EDT
As an alternative, I would suggest trying either a scud or chironomid pupa imitation.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Oct 23, 2009October 23rd, 2009, 12:46 pm EDT
Keeper--welcome! Pennsylvania fish love crickets in October. maybe Wisconsin fish would like them too. if you were to fish them near the shore, when you thought there were fish there, especially if the sun is out and the wind is not harsh, you might be surprised how they work. even after a frost or two, fish remember that they are good food. and they make good dries to hang those chronomids from...saves using bob--oops--indicators...
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Keeper33
Wisconsin

Keeper33 on Oct 23, 2009October 23rd, 2009, 5:46 pm EDT
Thanks a lot guys! I'll definitely try out the patterns you suggested. Last time I fished this pond I saw 5 pound+ rainbow so I know there are some big fish in it. Should be a good day even though it'll be a cold. It snowed here tonight but it should warmer tomorrow.

~Irish proverb~
Keeper33
Wisconsin

Keeper33 on Oct 24, 2009October 24th, 2009, 6:39 pm EDT
Hey guys I had a great day on the water. Thanks for all the advice. I caught 30 rainbows or so I lost count. One of the best days I've had recently. I caught them on olive woolly buggers. The fish were feeding on small minnows. It was a great day. I'll post pictures after I get some sleep. I caught a few nice size rainbows. The average size was probably around 11-14in.

Have a good one guys!

~Irish proverb~

Quick Reply