Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Freepow
menomonie, WI

Freepow on Jun 2, 2008June 2nd, 2008, 6:22 pm EDT
When throwing a midge larva, do you add weight to it? Or let it trail behind the strike indicator just below the surface of the water? Or, should I trail it as a drop behind a dry fly? I'm still learning a lot about nymphing and larval stages and the techniques associated with them. The midges in the air seem to be around size 20-24 and have black bodies but appear to be white or cream colored as they are flying. I can't get anything to bite on my Griffith's gnat or my midge larval patterns. What am I doing wrong? Any tips would be great. Thanks.
"I fish...because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip..."
Cmoretrout
Cmoretrout on Jun 2, 2008June 2nd, 2008, 6:56 pm EDT
I have had much luck with midges in my years on the water... Here are a few tips. Keep split shots on any larvae patterns because they live in the ground until the water temperature rises enough to make the bug emerge and float ro surface or subsurface... The best thing to do is to find out where the fish are... If you see trout subsurface i would recommend little to no weight but if the trout are hanging on the bottom i would suggest heavy weight like maybe a no. 4 or 6 shot depending on the water flow. get your immitation as close as possible to its natural environment for the best of luck!
Chris_3g
Chris_3g on Jun 3, 2008June 3rd, 2008, 1:25 am EDT
This may sound crazy, and maybe it is, but it works in some situations. Try stripping midge emerger patterns (around 3-6" at a time) such as a Palomino Midge. I have a friend who fishes the foam in a waterfall pool and takes a number of browns by way of this technique, and he swears by the Palomino Midge. The technique also works in other "normal" situations, though, so you might give it a shot next time you're out.

Also, I have had some level of success with the Sangre de Cristo Midge fished as a dry fly. These have a lower profile in the water, can work as an emerger pattern, and they're reasonably easy to tie in smaller sizes.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Chris.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 3, 2008June 3rd, 2008, 9:35 am EDT
For dry action try tiny parachutes tied on Tiemco 2488 or 2499 hooks. I like high vis for the post, and sometimes tie a loose CDC shuck over the body as a veil. Larva and pupa imitations may be dropped off the bend of the hook with a length of 9-18" tippet material. Concentrate on getting a drag free drift with the dry. Good luck!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply