Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Mlatimer has attached this picture to this report. The message is below.

Report at a Glance

General RegionMiddle TN
Specific LocationThe Caney Fork tail water
Dates Fished05/25/19
Time of Day8:30
Fish CaughtSmall rainbows, 1 brown

Details and Discussion

Mlatimer
Mlatimer on May 28, 2019May 28th, 2019, 2:48 am EDT
I got to the river at around 8:30, a little later than I had planned. I was greeted by lots of fisherman, which I expected and don’t mind. I walked down the bank a short ways and found my self a nice spot not too close to anyone else and setup shop. I brought spinning gear and fly gear just to have fun and see what I could catch. This was also a scouting run for any potential hatches. For fly selection I was running a brown larva type fly and then about 2 foot up the leader I had a zebra midge type pattern. Originally my plan was for two zebra midge because they are known to be a good all around choice for the Caney Fork. Sadly when I checked my stock I had only one and it lacked any weight, which prompted the weighted larva. A wake up call to restock my fly box. The bite was alright. I managed to catch only two rainbows with my less than stellar fly combo, which I kind of expected. The day did turn around however when I caught my first ever brown trout. Not a giant by any means but not too shabby. I didn’t find much in terms of hatches or insects, but I did note lots of fish hitting things on the surface earlier in the morning. Over all a success with lessons learned. Along with restocking my fly inventory I think a leader change is in order. I had used a spare in a pinch on a previous outing and forgot to change it. I can’t recall the exact weight but I know it’s on the heavy side, which I feel contributed to my lack of success. I’m ready to try again as soon as I can get out! Maybe the kayakers will halt their assault on the trout waters of Tennessee? A guy can dream.

Quick Reply