Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Baetis7
MI

Baetis7 on Aug 25, 2014August 25th, 2014, 6:17 am EDT
I noticed that our local midge larvae are quite long and are either a green or somewhat tan color. I have tied a few to resemble what I am seeing but it seems as though the fish are keying in on smaller midge patterns. Does anyone ever tie a full sized midge larva and have success on it? I thought for sure the trout would take this pattern but I have been unsuccessful for the most part on this particular tie. I will include a pic here shortly. Perhaps a few of you could comment on this larva tie. Thanks!
Baetis7
MI

Baetis7 on Aug 25, 2014August 25th, 2014, 6:35 am EDT
< />
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Aug 26, 2014August 26th, 2014, 2:36 pm EDT
What size hook are we talking here? Are we not sure that maybe its not crane-fly larvae we are seeing and not a "midge"?

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Baetis7
MI

Baetis7 on Aug 26, 2014August 26th, 2014, 2:58 pm EDT
Definitely not a tipulid but infact a dipteran. They are about a size 10 or 12. The above pattern is on a size 12 swimming nymph hook

Quick Reply