Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Sep 28, 2016September 28th, 2016, 4:37 pm EDT
Okay, Jason and Western guys what is this chartreuse midge called?

I just got back from Montana and this is the second year I have seen this midge during sunny, mid-days and some trout were taking them in the drift.

John
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 29, 2016September 29th, 2016, 4:32 am EDT
Hi John-

I suggest you contact Ethan Bright at ethanbr@umich.edu, but this one is pretty close.

Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Sep 29, 2016September 29th, 2016, 5:25 am EDT
John, did you tie or use anything to resemble the pupa or adult? If so were you successful?
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Sep 29, 2016September 29th, 2016, 6:02 pm EDT
John, did you tie or use anything to resemble the pupa or adult? If so were you successful?

Yes, I had a small soft hackle with a lime green body that did okay. Then I tied up several parachute style dries with a chartreuse strand body material. If I saw a trout take a chartreuse midge I dropped my pattern a couple feet in front and they generally took my pattern.

The midge had a short window of effectiveness because Trico spinners shortly afterwards appeared and the trout immediately switched to the growing number of tiny spinners spread eagle in the drift.
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Sep 29, 2016September 29th, 2016, 6:07 pm EDT
Hi John-

I suggest you contact Ethan Bright at ethanbr@umich.edu, but this one is pretty close.

Roger, thanks.. it is nice to see you are still hanging around here. The BugGuide midge looks almost the same and was from MT and says was photographed the end of August 2010. So close to the same time period and area.

I did find another chironomid in France that seemed similar to the chartreuse midge from the West Yellowstone area that I saw.

Quick Reply