Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Ventral view of a Hydropsyche (Hydropsychidae) (Spotted Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
With a bit of help from the microscope, this specimen keys clearly and unsurprisingly to Hydropsyche.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 16, 2007April 16th, 2007, 6:07 am EDT
Yesterday I photographed and videotaped a live caddis pupa I found in my latest sample, which is a fairly rare prize, at least with my sampling methods. I'll have it up on the site soon. I put it in a small rearing container to see if it'll hatch out into the adult for me.

This morning I woke up from a dream in which that adult had emerged, but its front left wing was missing, and it was extremely pissed off at me. It was "pacing" back and forth across its little hatching rock looking up at me and cursing me out quite loudly in English for being such a buffoon and messing up its wings.

I need to get out more.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Quillgordon
Schuylkill County, PA.

Quillgordon on Apr 16, 2007April 16th, 2007, 8:06 am EDT
It was "pacing" back and forth across its little hatching rock looking up at me and cursing me out quite loudly in English for being such a buffoon and messing up its wings.

Wow.... not only did the 'little critter' understand English, he could speak it. Very impressive.
You should take him back to college in the fall with you.
He would be a big help identifying all those questionable caddis species ( family members,I would think ).
Cheers.....
Flyfishing is a state of mind! .............. Q.g.

C/R........barbless
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 16, 2007April 16th, 2007, 8:48 am EDT
Jason, I'll leave the dream interpretation to others, but it was funny and strange at the same time. And...you do need to get out! ;)
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 16, 2007April 16th, 2007, 9:08 am EDT
Maybe skiing tomorrow... what month is it again? My calendar says April, but my windows say January.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 16, 2007April 16th, 2007, 5:17 pm EDT
"April is the cruelest month...." But where are those lilacs???

Quick Reply