Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Chironomidae (Midge) True Fly Adult from Mystery Creek #62 in New York
One of the only real benefits I've got from my rearing aquarium so far is that I've had quite a variety of midges emerge, giving me a chance to photograph these fragile little insects which are otherwise really hard to transport in photogenic form. This one recovered from being gassed and flew away before I could photograph it on the ruler, but it was very small, around 1.5mm.
Gatruk
Gatruk on Jan 29, 2010January 29th, 2010, 9:19 am EST
I am searching to find effective ways of cultivating chronomidaes, what kind of best cheap an effective medium that I should use , what are there lifecycles . lifespans an their behaviors. Thanks for letting me to join the forum.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jan 29, 2010January 29th, 2010, 3:59 pm EST
Gatruk-

Chironomids (members of true fly family Chironomidae) are a diverse group numbering ~1233 identified North American species, and still counting. They are found in most waters, from sewage treatment ponds to mountain streams, and everything in between. However, attempts to propagate chironomids have been largely unsuccessful, mostly owing to the inability to induce swarming and mating of chironomid adults in captivity. In other words, you can lead them to water, but you can't make them ..... Hmm, bad joke, that. Anyway, for more information, see this article.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 30, 2010January 30th, 2010, 8:43 am EST
Just the kind of joke I'd expect from you Roger. ;> But with that one-liner you did leave yourself open, knowing I'd be lurking.

Oh, now I get it; this was a setup. You got your buddy Gatruk to post the chromomidae question, so you could reply, and here I am stepping into the trap.

But, I must admit, I kinda liked the joke.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jan 30, 2010January 30th, 2010, 12:07 pm EST
Hi Louis-

Wouldn't want to disappoint you.

Best regards,
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck