Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

By Troutnut on July 19th, 2021
On the way home from fishing the Golden Trout Wilderness, rather than going back the way we came (to Reno), we drove east to fly out of Las Vegas, providing an opportunity to see some new, really interesting country in Death Valley and the Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge.

Death Valley was geologically spectacular and ecologically fascinating, and Ash Meadows held Devil's Hole, a place famous in fish biology as the home of an entire species that evolved and remains in a single small (but very deep) hole in the ground, the Devil's Hope Pupfish. Because people are people (unfortunately), Devil's Hole can only be viewed from a cage, at a distance too far back to see any of the rare fish. It was still interesting to see. We got to see live pupfish, relatively close relatives of those in Devil's Hope, up close at a nearby springfed oasis, which held Ash Meadows Amargosa Pupfish.

This trip also gave me time to do everything I've ever wanted to do in Vegas itself, specifically 1) returning the rental car, and 2) flying home. That's the whole list.

Photos by Troutnut from Death Valley and Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge in California and Nevada

Badwater Basin desolation

From Death Valley in California
Crystal Spring, home of the Ash Meadows Amargosa Pupfish

From Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge in Nevada
Devil's Hole, the entire species range of the endangered Devil's Hope Pupfish

Visitor viewing platform at Devil's Hole

Hill in Twenty Mule Team Canyon

Hills in Twenty Mule Team Canyon

Looking up in Golden Canyon

Golden Canyon entrance

Artist's Palette

Artist's Loop Road

Joshua trees on a hill between the Coso and Argus Ranges.

Badwater Basin - lowest and hottest point in North America

Salt Creek valley

Arrow Weed (Pluchea sericea) in Devil's Cornfield

Desert iguana (Dipsosaurus dorsalis) at Mesquite Flat

Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes with creosote bushes

Star Wars Canyon from Father Crowley Overlook

Sidewinder snake tracks in the sand at Mesquite Flat.

Gnarled old mesquite wood

Amargosa Range Mountains in Death Valley National Park

Quick Reply