Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Apr 22, 2012April 22nd, 2012, 9:07 pm EDT
The water levels on one of my favorite Steelhead rivers finally dropped to the lowest I have seen this year. I actually felt safe enough about it to take my daughter out fly fishing for an afternoon. Varilya landed a huge Steelhead on the fly, her first ever. It was an extremely intense battle... which I could have had ten heart attacks. I am beyond proud of my little girl!
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 23, 2012April 23rd, 2012, 4:42 am EDT
Well done Varilya!! She looks like "a chip off the old block" there, James! Fishing prowess must run in your bloodline. That's a very nicely colored fish too, which I'm sure pleased your daughter. What rod and fly pattern did she use?

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Pryal74
Pryal74's profile picture
Escanaba, MI

Pryal74 on Apr 23, 2012April 23rd, 2012, 6:44 am EDT
We were just drifting a size 10 Black Stonefly nymph through a swift run with a tiny split shot about a foot up the tippet. I always use my 7 wt 10 foot Sage Flight. The water is lower so I took my indicator off. I told her if the line stopped to raise up. She did it flawlessly.

I was so worried she would wipe out in the rocks when it screamed downstream. She followed the fish and kept her rod high like a pro. She was so happy when I got him in the net. I'm so glad she caught one on her first time out.

Thanks Jonathon.
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Apr 23, 2012April 23rd, 2012, 9:26 am EDT
My goodness Gracious my man that is one spectacular fish, especially given the circumstances of her age and first steelhead! Spectacular for both of you guys, congratulations!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Apr 23, 2012April 23rd, 2012, 7:47 pm EDT
Congrats James!! That is the best thing i've seen today. Getting her into fish the first time is a sure way to get her hooked! Very well done!
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Apr 24, 2012April 24th, 2012, 6:34 am EDT
Varilya, well done. You both have memories for a lifetime. Great fish.
Youngfish
Youngfish's profile picture
Manistique, MI

Youngfish on Apr 26, 2012April 26th, 2012, 7:30 am EDT
Awesome job Jim, and Varilya! Varilya has an awesome teacher for sure
Kyle McClelland
Manistique, MI
XXL Chrome Chasing- www.facebook.com/XxlChromeChasing

Quick Reply