Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

By Troutnut on May 10th, 2011
I took these pictures while setting out lines for burbot near town. I really am still a fly fishermen, but this is the first liquid water we've had in 7 months, and desperate times call for desperate measures!

Truth be told, I have a dirty little secret... this burbot fishing is kind of fun.

Photos by Troutnut from the Tanana River in Alaska

The water is exceptionally low right now on the Tanana, leaving most of the logjams high and dry.  The area on the right in this photo is underwater during much of the summer.

From the Tanana River in Alaska
This is what a lot of the remaining river ice looks like right now, laying in massive chunks up on the bank.  Kick it and it shatters into a million little shards.

From the Tanana River in Alaska

Comments / replies

Motrout
Motrout's profile picture
Motrout on May 12, 2011May 12th, 2011, 12:28 pm EDT
Awesome pictures.

It's amazing that ya'll are still dealing with ice up there, and to be honest with you, I kind of envy you at the moment. We are dealing with our first heatwave of the year with temperatures reaching the low 90s until today and I am wishing that spring hadn't passed by so quick.
"I don't know what fly fishing teaches us, but I think it's something we need to know."-John Gierach
http://fishingintheozarks.blogspot.com/
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 12, 2011May 12th, 2011, 12:47 pm EDT
We are dealing with our first heatwave of the year with temperatures reaching the low 90s until today

That's one of the things I miss the least about Missouri! We hit 90 up here maybe once or twice all summer, and most days are in the 70s.

Our spring has hardly even started yet. Buds are just beginning to show on some of the trees, and nothing has leafed out yet. North-facing slopes up in the hills still have a lot of snow.

Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply