Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 6 pictures. The message is below.
Woodland anemone (Anemone quiquefolia)
Wild strawberry (Fragaria virginiana)
Birdsfoot violet (Viola pedata)
Pussytoes (Antennaria howelli)
The Three Violeteers!
Sooo soft and fuzzy...
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 25, 2020May 25th, 2020, 10:31 am EDT
Well, it took it's time getting here, but our warm spring weather FINALLY arrived...along with hordes of plague-bearing tourists sadly. After hitting two favorite ponds last week, one with the kayak, and having both moderate success and no company whatsoever have not been able to convince myself to go out since. While visiting a friend in town on Friday afternoon I saw a major amount of traffic and just went awwww crap, here they come...hopefully they are mostly on their way hone and tomorrow I can have a bit more solitude.

But hey, I don't even have to leave my property to see plant diversity and wildlife! Here's a few flower shots I just took today. Need to hike the trails across the road, but there were some knuckleheads out burning them up in giant fart-machines so I had to avoid them too. Well, it's one of the worst weekends of the year for citiots, and most of them have to go home...

Anyone else been out? Seen any hatch activity? I did see some caddis and midges at [REDACTED] Pond and brookies were rising to them in the evening for about an hour or so. Insect activity has been very low in general so far this year due to our low temperatures. Well, as you can see, at least now they have some food!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on May 25, 2020May 25th, 2020, 11:14 am EDT
Jonathon, Im going up tomorrow morning, now that Im really retired, I don't do weekends, or holidays. Going to try a different spot, as water is still to high on the river I currently like to fish. I just want to get on some water, and see some hatches or at least some rises.
Mike.
Red_green_h
Red_green_h's profile picture
New Mexico

Red_green_h on May 26, 2020May 26th, 2020, 5:07 am EDT
I was gone this weekend with the kids and came back and my wife spent about $100 on flowers at a local nursery. Wish we had wild flowers like that here in NM.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 26, 2020May 26th, 2020, 6:23 am EDT
Ryan, ours took a loooooong time to come out after a winter that wouldn't quit. We had one entire week of lows below freezing within the month of May, complete with snow on the 10th and lows down to 21 F. I'm sure you have some beautiful natural areas there in NM with some spectacular stuff, it's all about the timing.

Today we're in the upper 80's F. Winter to summer in a few weeks. That's Pure Michigan!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 30, 2020May 30th, 2020, 2:51 am EDT
Thanks for sharing your photos Jonathon. I always enjoy your pics.
Pennsylvania has seen caddis, sulphurs and cahills lately, and green drakes are getting started. Fishing has been good generally, but lots and lots of cabin fevered folks are out on the streams now, and it's been a challenge to find some solitude at times. We had a shot of rain that put the streams up some, but they are dropping pretty fast. Next week should be a good one.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply