Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jul 4, 2009July 4th, 2009, 2:08 pm EDT
What is the FLAV mayfly that I'll be fishing out West in August? I'm not sure what to tie, what colors they are or what size. Anyone have a parachute or sparkle dun pattern?
Thanks,
Bruce
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 4, 2009July 4th, 2009, 3:35 pm EDT
Bruce,

Drunella flavilinea (Ephemerella flavilinea in older texts) is a medium-size Western ephemerellid species, aka Small Western Green Drake or Slate-Winged Olive. You can find photos, info, and (if you'll click on the pattern names at the bottom of the page) some patterns to try here:
http://www.westfly.com/entomology/mayfly/flav.shtml
(Please note that you'll have to adjust the colors of the patterns--which are really tying style suggestions--to the colors indicated for the flavs. Emergers or freshly emerged duns will have lighter body colors.)
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 4, 2009July 4th, 2009, 3:38 pm EDT
Bruce-

The mayflies are Drunella flavilinea and D. coloradensis, which are said to be so similar that even entomologists have trouble telling them apart. Commonly referred to as either Flavs or Lesser Green Drakes, there is a sufficient amount to say about them, that Western Mayfly Hatches by Hafele and Hughes devotes a separate chapter (15 pages) to them. My recommendation would be to simply order the book, as in my opinion, it is (by far) the best book available for western mayflies.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 4, 2009July 4th, 2009, 3:54 pm EDT
Ha! Happy 4th, Roger...and the same to all my fellow Troutnuts! :)
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 4, 2009July 4th, 2009, 4:00 pm EDT
Ah, now I get it, looks like we were keying at the same time. A happy 4th to you too, Lloyd.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jul 6, 2009July 6th, 2009, 3:22 pm EDT
Thanks: I guess I should have known. I never heard of them until this trip out West became a reality. I looked on the site but I couldn't locate them, but I'm sure I must have looked in the wrong place.
Bruce
Doublespey
Doublespey on Jan 17, 2012January 17th, 2012, 9:38 am EST

I've fished them on the Henry's Fork below Ashton, They generally come off in the lower light, late afternoon, BUT, some mid-afernoon rain clouds can bring on a great hatch. A #14 Parachute olive body works well along with the same body comparadun. I did well one day with no flavs with me, and a sudden rainfall, and flavs and fish were everywhere. I did well on a Parachute Adams size #14. Sizes are #14-16 and a brown shuck and olive bodied Comparadun is a great pattern. Hot, warm day in July and it will be 8 PM, or later before they come off. Fish luv'um, and generally aren't that picky when flavs come off.

Quick Reply