Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Demtrout has attached these 7 pictures to this report. The message is below.
A sworn to secrecy location that was filled with HUGE trout.

Huge difficult trout--as I in I hooked ONE--and it was a freight train that was gone in a matter of seconds after taking a size 18 caddis emerger...
Too warm to fish really well...  Best fished further upriver and in the fall
Waiting for the evening rise--if the wind and rain allow one...
An "only slightly larger than average trout" for this particular watershed...
A decent sized Cutt

Report at a Glance

General RegionThe Rockies, the Cascades and the Siskiyou
Dates FishedJune 20-July 25

Details and Discussion

Demtrout
Demtrout on Aug 2, 2016August 2nd, 2016, 6:42 pm EDT
Just wrapped up an almost dream trip exploring the American West and fishing some of the regions most renowned Blue Ribbon fisheries!

The weather was wildly unpredictable, run-off patterns were all over the map--and I am a dry fly enthusiast (ok--a fanatic) loathe to fish with an indicator so it was definitely a mixed bag. Epic hatches in places with very technical fishing, spring creeks where fish under 20" where banned ;-) and cutthroat so gullible I left in search of a more challenging quarry. Some watersheds were guaranteed fish--if one wanted to fish an indicator; big and even bigger trout!

It seems drought and whirling disease continue to be an issue in many places--even if the local guides and chamber of commerce have a happier tale to sell--I mean tell ;-)

High points were catching the tail end of the Golden Stones in the Tetons and Yellowstone as the water was dropping and clearing; a lake trout that took a Callibaetis nymph (wtf?); a "hatch" of aquatic wasps that set off some pretty frenzied feeding to anything and everything--and finally REALLY dialing in some superb dry fly action on the Missouri (as in almost every fish that I could get a good drift)

A lengthier photo essay is on my Facebook pages if you are interested

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204113572067168&set=a.1022463529459.2004059.1461357746&type=3&theater
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 2, 2016August 2nd, 2016, 7:52 pm EDT
Great trip man! Western landscapes are soooooo picturesque and spectacular. Those are pretty fish too!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Aug 3, 2016August 3rd, 2016, 5:00 am EDT
Yup, definitely a must do. Thanks for the great pics.

Mike.
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Aug 3, 2016August 3rd, 2016, 6:53 am EDT
Thanks so much for sharing. Great nature to be surrounded with on a stream.I wasn't thrilled with fishing over cutthroats either.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 4, 2016August 4th, 2016, 3:26 pm EDT
Breathtaking shot of those red cliffs. Thank you for sharing.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 21, 2016August 21st, 2016, 7:43 pm EDT
Thanks for the report, and great pictures!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply