Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bcnorthfly
stewart british columbia

Bcnorthfly on May 19, 2015May 19th, 2015, 5:21 pm EDT
So I just resently got my first fly rod combo and got my first trip in, I thought it was fairly successful trip, ended up landing six rainbow trout, but my trip was cut short due to my only leader snapping off at about 3 feet long. I have no way of getting another leader for a while due to the closest tackle shop to stock up on gear being 4 hours away. My question is can I use regular 5 pound test line for a leader until I get a chance to get out of town in a few weeks so I can continue to fish
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 19, 2015May 19th, 2015, 10:09 pm EDT
Hi BCnorthfly-

Yes, you certainly can. It will not cast as well as a tapered leader would, but it should work for you. I would tie no more than 5' of it on to the end of your existing leader if you need to cast it.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on May 21, 2015May 21st, 2015, 6:43 am EDT
or let the magic of the internet deliver a couple of leaders to your mailbox. yep, shipping is usually excessive, but if Rog's advice doesn't please, it's an answer.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 21, 2015May 21st, 2015, 7:48 am EDT
PM me your address and I will mail you a tapered leader.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Bcnorthfly
stewart british columbia

Bcnorthfly on May 22, 2015May 22nd, 2015, 4:58 pm EDT
Hey thanks it got me out of a pinch and caught a few rainbow trout, leaders are on the way should be here Monday just didn't want to wait for the mailing, but sure the quick fix will get me through this weekend as well
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 22, 2015May 22nd, 2015, 8:03 pm EDT
:-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply