Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Ephemerella mucronata (Ephemerellidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This is an interesting one. Following the keys in Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019) and Jacobus et al. (2014), it keys clearly to Ephemerella. Jacobus et al provide a key to species, but some of the characteristics are tricky to interpret without illustrations. If I didn't make any mistakes, this one keys to Ephemerella mucronata, which has not previously been reported any closer to here than Montana and Alberta. The main character seems to fit well: "Abdominal terga with prominent, paired, subparallel, spiculate ridges." Several illustrations or descriptions of this holarctic species from the US and Europe seem to match, including the body length, tarsal claws and denticles, labial palp, and gill shapes. These sources include including Richard Allen's original description of this species in North America under the now-defunct name E. moffatae in Allen RK (1977) and the figures in this description of the species in Italy.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Benjlan
Benjlan's profile picture
Cedar Rapids lowa

Benjlan on Dec 28, 2010December 28th, 2010, 1:39 pm EST
Hi people,

What line do ya'll use for nymph fishing. I just bought a 9' 4wt St. Croix Avid and I'm going to use it as a nymph rod. Small creeks around here, mostly roll casting on a rod this length. The rod is supposed to have a moderate action. Any knowledge would be very helpful, being new to the sport (3 years now) and not having a lot of extra money to waste on trial and error, it's important to me to get this one right. Any ideas?

Ben
Dryfly
rochester mn

Dryfly on Dec 28, 2010December 28th, 2010, 1:42 pm EST
Any double taper or weight forward 4 weight line will do.
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Dec 29, 2010December 29th, 2010, 12:15 am EST
second that motion. the one "nymph" line that BFB and I used fell apart (really!) too soon. any floating WF or DT line is fine for your small creeks. some think that flourocarbon leaders sink better so less weight would be needed on the fly or tippet. if you tie your own leader, you can put a colored section for an indicator.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Dec 29, 2010December 29th, 2010, 10:47 am EST
If you're primarily fishing NE Iowa or elsewhere in the Driftless Region, the same floating line you use for fishing dry flies, whether it is a WF or DT, will be all you need to nymph fish these streams. In a decade of fishing the region, I've yet to see a pool/hole over 6 feet in depth and most are closer to 2-4 feet deep at their deepest. This is all floating line territory. Just use enough weight to get down to where you need to be. I use tungsten putty, usually behind a very small split shot. Then I vary the amount of putty for different depths, current speeds, etc.

Aaron7_8
Aaron7_8's profile picture
Helena Montana

Aaron7_8 on Dec 29, 2010December 29th, 2010, 12:41 pm EST
I started using the putty and it works awesome. It makes an infinitely variable weight that doesn't damage your line. I fish small creeks and floaters work best and a double taper allows you to switch ends of your line when the first end wears out.
Flytier37
Harrisburg, PA

Flytier37 on Dec 30, 2010December 30th, 2010, 3:27 am EST
Cortland 444 Classic Double Tapered Line is great! it costs about 54 bucks and you can cut it in half and save the extra half for when your first gets worn out. Its a great casting and floating line!
Flies and fins, they're all I have, and some folks think that it's so sad, I could've been a politician, or a scientist
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Dec 31, 2010December 31st, 2010, 8:16 am EST
Benjlan
If you really want a answer we need more information.
By that I mean are you CZ nymphing French Nymphing or Indicator nymphing. Some types of nymphing no fly line is used at all.

Best
JAD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jan 2, 2011January 2nd, 2011, 9:55 am EST
Lee, I like the putty too, but forget to put it in an inside pocket in the winter, and by the time I need it, it's hard as a rock, and I have to use split shot.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jesse
Jesse's profile picture
Jesse on Jan 2, 2011January 2nd, 2011, 2:23 pm EST
Full Sink baby!!!
Most of us fish our whole lives..not knowing its not the fish that we are after.
http://www.filingoflyfishing.com
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jan 8, 2011January 8th, 2011, 3:52 am EST
IME, taper matters little. It's mass that counts most when nymphing with added weight. To cover enough water depth and speeds for most waters I fish, a 4wt is minimum, a 5wt will handle more, and I use a 6wt in winter due to denser/more viscous water.

I like DTs for the longer taper they tend to have which mends well, but mostly bc nymphing beats hell out of lines so being able to use both tapered ends is simply cost effective.

I had used special "nymph tapers" in the past, with a fat high floating "indicator" tip but found them poorer for casting and have long since moved my indicators off the line and down into the leader. Ditto for sink-tips, moving spliced leadcore sections into the leader. The line is only there to position the weight and fly.
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Jan 8, 2011January 8th, 2011, 1:44 pm EST
Ben,
If you are actually going to roll cast w/ a tapered leader DT may be the way to go. If you are a "flipper" as I am on most streams, try nymphing w/ an ultra light or running line. It can still be cast in a pinch if the need be, just incorporate a haul. I think you will be surprised w/ how sensitive this setup is. Just another idea and it isn't for everyone.

Jeff
Cwilliams
Cwilliams on Jan 11, 2011January 11th, 2011, 6:41 am EST
I use wf 4weight line and it works great, line isnt as important for nymphing and fishing wetflys,streamers etc as it is to fishing drys

Quick Reply