Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Rdd has attached these 2 pictures. The message is below.
Rdd
Rdd on Dec 17, 2006December 17th, 2006, 6:28 am EST
I caught a yellow trout in a western Oklahoma pond that is stocked yearly with rainbow trout from Arkansas. Are these yellow trout common? We have fished this pond regularly through the trout season for three years and this is the first of this kind we have seen.
Upnorth2
Wisconsin

Upnorth2 on Dec 17, 2006December 17th, 2006, 7:57 am EST
Yellow and wild-colored rainbow trout were first used in crossbreeding experiments to determine the pattern of yellow color inheritance. So what you have is the yellow phase of a rainbow. The color phenotypes are explained by a system of two gene loci with two alleles each. The yellow color (allele a) is caused by absence of the dominant allele A controlling wild color. Among the yellow fish (aa) the second gene locus allele B controls palomino and black eye color. Albino and red eye color (allele b) is caused by the absence of the dominant allele B controlling color development. It's like they say. "It's in the genes."
Something coming out of the hatchery no doubt.

CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Dec 18, 2006December 18th, 2006, 10:01 am EST
you can find a discussion of golden trout and some pictures over on the Northern Virginia Trout Unlimited bulletin board. look at "Fishing Reports", page 2 of "Holmes Run", or copy and paste this link to that page. look for Durcel and Bob B's posts and the pictures that follow.

http://www.nvatu.org/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000289;p=2

and you can look at Gaudy Trout in this forum, under General, for some other ideas.

Jason, i hope it's kosher to send folks to other fora. if not, lemmeno and i'll stop. the internet has opened up such an amazing interconnectedness of knowledge that it's really tempting to add to the connecting threads. as the postings multiply, it's hard to keep track of just what we read where and when.
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Dec 18, 2006December 18th, 2006, 7:51 pm EST
Jason, i hope it's kosher to send folks to other fora.

Yeah, it's fine. Lots of webmasters are touchy about that, often because they're insecure about their own site's ability to hold onto its members. I don't buy into that kind of territoriality: I try to attract people to this website by improving it, rather than by crossing my fingers and hoping they don't find somebody else's site. That kind of paranoia reflects a poor understanding of the Internet.

I completely agree with you about interconnectedness. It enhances a forum because it makes more information available as food for thought and discussion.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Upnorth2
Wisconsin

Upnorth2 on Dec 20, 2006December 20th, 2006, 9:42 am EST
I've done my best Golden Trout fishing outside the Black Hills around Sundance and other remote places in Wyoming. Nice Kamloop.

Quick Reply