Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Hunter1
Hunter1's profile picture
Maryland

Hunter1 on Mar 31, 2020March 31st, 2020, 3:36 am EDT
Hi,Hope this don't sound stupid. I'm in the third week of a 6 week recovery from a Hyrnia operation. I'm feeling great. I have been doing some pan fishing with worms at our dock. I relly want to go fly fishing at the Gun powder river where I normaly fly fish. I'm worried if it's to early to start crawling around stream rocks and current. Doc said not to surf fish till 5 or 6 weeks, but thats using heaveir equipment and casting out.Has anyone had this operation , and how long before you fly fished. Thanks.
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Mar 31, 2020March 31st, 2020, 7:07 am EDT
Some of the answer depends on your age and how invasive your surgery happened to be. I had lower abdominal (or general vicinity, anyway..) cancer surgery at age 57 in 2009. I was probably in the upper third of guys in my age range for fitness. My doc told me no wading that could cause any stress on the surgical area or tend to generally fatigue me for 6-8 weeks. But after 4 weeks, I was raring to go and it was hard to wait. But I held out and waited the full 6 weeks. This was a wise choice as I tired pretty easily the first time even though I felt perfectly fine. Surgery can take a lot out of us whether we realize it or not.

So, the short answer/advice from here is that we should not necessarily believe everything we think just because that is what we want to think.. Sometimes, we tell ourselves what we want to hear rather than what we need to hear.

I'd do what he doc says and wait it out. That's why he's the doctor and you (I assume) are not.

Probably not what you want to hear, but my 2 cents anyway.
Hunter1
Maryland

Hunter1 on Mar 31, 2020March 31st, 2020, 8:39 am EDT
No, I thank you. I'm bored to death here. But your right it's better to wait the 5 to 6 weeks. My herniya the intestine busted out of the tear. I'm 70 years old, maybe a young 70, but still old. I'll just bait fish for pan fish at our dock. Tight lines and be safe.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 31, 2020March 31st, 2020, 12:00 pm EDT
I had a hernia procedure with the mesh process back in late January of 2015. I had a lot of pain for the three weeks after the surgery. I was though already an older guy at 71 years old. I stayed with the surgeons instructions. But I was on a plane for Andros Island in the Bahamas on April 01 and had no issues whatsoever.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Hunter1
Maryland

Hunter1 on Apr 1, 2020April 1st, 2020, 9:26 am EDT
Thanks all, I'm going to play it safe. You all be safe.

Quick Reply