Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 28, 2011July 28th, 2011, 6:11 pm EDT
Our good friend Mark "Softhackle" has been told by his doctors that he has colon cancer. He is preparing to beat this thing and could use some support. If you are a praying man it's time to get busy, if not you could send him a short positive note of support as a Private Message...He has a lot on his mind so keep that in mind...Lets keep our comments as short and as private as possible, ok?!

Mark has been a very giving person on this site and has always shared his angling knowledge with each and every one of us...He actually talked this ex-Teamster/hockey player in to entering JoAnn Fabic alone and on my own to purchase embroidery thread! No easy trick! :) I survived it somehow...

Spence

Please remember to use the PM feature when sending your messages...No comments here.

http://www.troutnut.com/profile/of-Softhackle
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jul 29, 2011July 29th, 2011, 12:51 pm EDT
Thanks to all for kind PMs. please know that I cherish your friendships and that they are a great morale booster for my fight ahead. Hopefully I will be checking in through all this to keep the fire burning.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jul 29, 2011July 29th, 2011, 5:05 pm EDT
Yes, Mark, I don't know you personally but you have responded to many of my posts when I have ??? and what not. I have always found your input and responses to be respectful, insightful, and courteous and I wish you all the best. Good luck to you my friend and keep us informed.

Your friend,

Adirman
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 31, 2011July 31st, 2011, 9:21 am EDT
Mark, my father (now 78) went through a very serious operation last year to remove a tumor (fortunately benign!) the size of a baseball from on top of one of his adrenal glands. I was of course quite worried, there's always risks when you go under the knife, but he's a tough old bird and came through it just fine and is in fact healthier now than before and thoroughly enjoying life. Hell, he's reloading ammo for me to burn at the range!

So, here's wishing you the same luck with your situation!! We're all pulling for ya!

Jonathon

P.S. The night after the operation, at 1:15 a.m., he called me and wanted me to come get him at the hospital. "I feel fine, I wanna come home now! I'm done with this place!" "Dad, you just had an operation today! You need to stay there for a while!" "Naw, I feel just fine!" OK, it's the painkillers talking...but I just had to laugh and feel reassured that he was indeed going to be just fine. He also asked me to go upstairs to get his favorite pain pills and bring them to him. "Dad, it's quarter after one in the morning!" "I want my Ultram! They won't give me any!" His nurse and I had a pretty good laugh after he gave my Dad a little shot in his IV to put him back to sleep...he told me my Dad was trying to pull out the IV and monitoring wires and etc. and get out of bed! Yep, I knew right then he was going to make a full recovery...

P.P.S. Sorry Spence but I did want to share the story of my Dad as inspiration for Mark and I thought others here would get a kick out of it.
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Jul 31, 2011July 31st, 2011, 10:08 am EDT
Good story. Thanks, Jonathan.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html

Quick Reply