Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
Handsome boy, you lookin' at me?
ALWAYS the goofus
Mister cross-paws
So shiny he washed out with the flash
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 15, 2020May 15th, 2020, 3:01 am EDT
Oh boy...lost one of my very best friends today. Not a fishing buddy but certainly a tying buddy...poor fellow basically had a kitty stroke last night and was in awful pain...by the time we made it to the doc this am he was just about gone. Wanna make me cry like a baby? Make me put my cat down....rips a piece outta me, somewhere between my heart and my stomach, & my soul.

Rest in peace Mister Green-Eyed Monster, a.k.a. World's Best Cat. :o(

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on May 15, 2020May 15th, 2020, 6:17 am EDT
I'm sorry to hear this, Jonathon. While both our kitties are well and pretty perky, I know its coming as one will be 16 next month and the other 15 in November. Its gonna kill me when it happens and I dread it. I like my cats better than about half the people I know.

Condolences...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on May 15, 2020May 15th, 2020, 9:38 am EDT
Jonathon, I very sorry to here the sad news, I went through the same thing last fall when my we had to have or lab, Chance put down. All I can say is remember all the good times you had with best friend. We have had dogs since we first got married in 1977, but I told my wife I just can't do this anymore. But I do have some wonderful memories.
Mike.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 15, 2020May 15th, 2020, 11:45 am EDT
Very sorry for your loss Jonathon. My wife and I lost our Jill kitty just three weeks ago from advanced kidney disease. She was 20 years six months old.

Our animal hospital in York had a protocol to not allow any pet owners into their facility. But they did let us see her after some blood work confirmed her condition. Neither of us are doing very good and any sad story gets me weepy. She was a great companion and we have so many wonderful memories and pictures.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on May 16, 2020May 16th, 2020, 1:33 am EDT
Jonathan, my condolences and a lot of us can empathize- losing a beloved pet can be like losing a loved one, they're part of the family and it leaves a hole in your heart and your life. Our 2 pooches are getting on in years and its only a matter of time before giving them up, not something I dwell on. I think you've got a lot of GOOD memories of your feline, keeps the smiles coming back...crazy how cats and dogs (or any other creature, I guess) can grow on us, isn't it?

Roguerat

"less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 18, 2020May 18th, 2020, 3:20 pm EDT
Jonathon, so sorry to hear this. I miss my Jim cat all the time. Like Leo, Jim was a great tying buddy. Perhaps they are sitting around together in kitty heaven talking about THEIR crazy fly tying pets (us).
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
SDMT
Black Hills of SD

SDMT on May 18, 2020May 18th, 2020, 4:17 pm EDT
Animals should never die. They deserve to have someone who thinks they are the best person in the world.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 18, 2020May 18th, 2020, 5:07 pm EDT
SDMT wrote;

Animals should never die. They deserve to have someone who thinks they are the best person in the world.

Great comment. I miss my cat and remember all the times she would jump up on my fly tying desk and stare at me while I was tying and play with empty spools I would give her. Or she would jump in one of the lower drawers in the roll top desk and take a nap.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 18, 2020May 18th, 2020, 10:51 pm EDT
Matt, the pic of your kitty in the drawer is just too precious, and so catlike!

Thanks to all for the condolences. I am doing OK since all of my friends are animal lovers and so I have been getting no shortage of sympathy. Got pretty sad walking by the pet food isle in the store the other day...guess I don't need any of that right now...*sniff sniff*

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
LearingtoFl
LearingtoFl on May 30, 2020May 30th, 2020, 5:32 am EDT
Jonathan, I'm so sorry to learn of passing of Leo. I know you loved that cat to the depth of your very being. My deepest condolences.

Barb
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 2, 2020June 2nd, 2020, 8:02 pm EDT
Sorry to hear that Jonathon. Losing a close pet is always awful.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply