Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Mar 29, 2020March 29th, 2020, 8:33 am EDT
This time in our lives is a real challenge, and Im thinking of all of you, as well as all family members. Please be safe in this time of uncertainity, this to shall pass, hopefully sooner than later! I did go up north last week and fished, everything that could go wrong did. I took my first swim in probably 30 years, wow! that water was cold! I banged my shins up pretty good on the rock tripped over, best thing was I got up pretty damn quick! I hope all of you are doing well, please be safe in these uncertain times, but get out there if you can and be safe doing it.
Mke
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Mar 29, 2020March 29th, 2020, 9:10 am EDT
Mike, and all the other TN's too-

Sort of a mixed blessing you got out but paid a cold price for it, did you hook anything for the effort?

Holed up @ home for over a week now, just a quick trip in to work every other day to check the buildings for secured then home again...and the rivers are blown out by now nearly 2" of rain so no safe wading. BUT I'm spending a lot of time at the vise tying "flies I need to learn to fish more" for lack of a better tagline- streamers. Zoo Cougars, Heifer Groomers, anything with a trimmed deer hair head is coming off the vise just to sharpen my chops on spinning and stacking again and its a real grin to see I'm not all that rusty.

Waitin' it out,

and stay safe and sane, all,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 29, 2020March 29th, 2020, 10:25 pm EDT
I'm teaching my classes on Zoom. Adapting to a digital distance delivery has taken time, but it seems to be working. I went out a few times when olives were hatching and caught some fish, but recently realized that if I'm two hours from home and have a breakdown, I'm screwed in ways now that weren't a problem before. So I've decided to stick closer to home. And wouldn't you know it; my daughter and I went to Giant to pick up a Peapod order (they bring the bags out to you) and my battery went dead. A kind soul gave us a jump--keeping his distance--but it was just the kind of thing I was concerned about, and distressing, though we were only a few miles from home and my wife could have rescued us, with the car just left behind until it could be towed. So now, I'll have to negotiate getting a battery--but that will get resolved too. All things in time. Local streams are high, so I can just focus on grading this stack of papers my students emailed to me this weekend. But I hate missing the grannoms this year. And I've cancelled a trip out west; I'm not getting on a plane for a good while. Stayin' alive. So far so good.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Rollcast
Rollcast's profile picture
Cleveland, Tennessee

Rollcast on Mar 30, 2020March 30th, 2020, 3:13 am EDT
Been off for a while but wanted to get back in the loop. Minor foot surgery had me grounded for a while but wanting to get back fishing in the local streams. East Tennessee rivers and lakes are up and swift. Mountain streams are decent as long as the rains hold off. Reports are that they are crowded. This time has a lot of folks working around the house and spending time fixing their tackle and tying flies. To all, keep well and see you on the water...somewhere.
Creating with pictures and words.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 2, 2020April 2nd, 2020, 11:22 am EDT
Since I pulled off my Florida trip, am still feeling just fine, have a nice solitary cabin in the woods full of books, music, and a big fat kitty cat...well, I'm just waiting for fishing conditions to improve & seasons to open! Spring is in the air, saw two mourning cloak butterflies yesterday, buds are swelling on elms, red maples, and pussy willows...robins, red-winged blackbirds, and mourning doves are singing, suckers and a few steelies are being caught! Leo is spending more time outside at night, preparing for his nocturnal summer routine...and Venus is high in the west after sundown!

So, I'm living my typical lifestyle anyway and life is good here! Tight lines to all about to hit their favorite spots!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply