Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Brian314
Fenton, MI.

Brian314 on Feb 1, 2020February 1st, 2020, 11:14 pm EST
I hear the Shiawassee between Linden and Byron is flyfish-able. A 20 year old map book I have says there are panfish and pike in there but no trout. Has anyone here fished it in that area ????
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Feb 2, 2020February 2nd, 2020, 12:11 am EST
Brian314, I live about 2 mi. from the Shiawassee near Bancroft. I don't know much about the Linden to Byron stretch, from Bancroft to Vernon is a nice looking piece of water. There are pike, smallmouth, rockbass, lots of redhorse suckers and of course carp. Im becoming increasingly interested in the smallmouth fishing. Shiawassee county is doing a really good job cleaning up the river and improving the local parks. Check out Shiatown park, used to be a dam there but know anymore. Its a nice float down threw there.
Mike.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 2, 2020February 2nd, 2020, 1:05 am EST
Mike, my dad, one of the old schoolers, uses to snag redhorse in the spring in Tennessee. He'd dredge them in cornmeal and cook them up. Delicious.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Strmanglr
Strmanglr's profile picture
Strmanglr on Feb 11, 2020February 11th, 2020, 5:17 am EST
Waded and fished the Shiawassee w a friend by Vernon. We each took a few smallmouth. The water was low and clear that time of the year. Thinking if the water was up a little it might have been better.

I think wading for river smallmouth is a hidden gem in Michigan.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Feb 14, 2020February 14th, 2020, 5:48 am EST
Lots of work going on the Shiawassee, the dam in corunna has been removed and a rapids is being created for the kayak and canoe folks. But more importantly this means migratory fish or fish the spawn in streams from the great lakes aka Saginaw Bay have a very clear shot upstream to just about anywhere they want to go. A 29 inch walleye was caught 2 years ago at shiatown, and I know a person who is now catching walleye reliabley near Bancroft. The one last big hurdle is the dam at Cheasing, but I think fish can get by that. Many years ago salmon were making there way up to downtown flint, when I worked at Chevy in the hole you could watch them hanging around in that area of the river. Crazy stuff, but still pretty cool.
Mike
Brian314
Fenton, MI.

Brian314 on Feb 21, 2020February 21st, 2020, 7:23 am EST
Thanks for the info guys !!!
That 20 yro book I was talking about : Flyfisher's Guide to Michigan (John Osborn) was updated less than a year ago and I just got a copy from Amazon - I highly recommend it if you're looking to fish in newunfamiliar streams. I will check out Shiatown etc...this spring ! :-)
PS - have been tying SMB streamers for a week now, can't wait to try 'em !!
Strmanglr
Strmanglr's profile picture
Strmanglr on Feb 23, 2020February 23rd, 2020, 9:19 am EST
Interesting, I bought Flyfisher's Guide To Michigan by Jim Bedford about ten years ago. I made an old school paper bag book cover for it because I knew how much I'd be using it for reference.

It's all about trout/salmon/steelhead rivers in Michigan.
Brian314
Fenton, MI.

Brian314 on Mar 7, 2020March 7th, 2020, 11:19 pm EST
Yes, that was the older one I had - the newer one (author Jon Osborn) is a completely new book w plenty of full color maps and updated info. I actually threw the old one out....LOL
(no disrespect intended to Mr.Bedford).
:-) Brian

Quick Reply