Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 5, 2018August 5th, 2018, 6:26 pm EDT
Apparently, they're a waste of water:

California wildfires are being magnified & made so much worse by the bad environmental laws which aren’t allowing massive amount of readily available water to be properly utilized. It is being diverted into the Pacific Ocean. Must also tree clear to stop fire spreading!

Another name for water being "diverted into the Pacific Ocean" is "a river," and Trump apparently doesn't like environmental laws requiring that rivers have water. In many cases, these water requirements are driven by the needs of endangered species--another subject of Trump's attacks--in this case Chinook Salmon and Steelhead. I consider both species to be valuable, and I've learned while studying them as a scientist that both species actually need water to live. They do very poorly on land.

Of course, none of the environmental laws that guarantee minimum stream flows are hindering firefighters from accessing as much water as they can use. Instead, the laws primarily limit irrigation. But even if irrigators were allowed to bleed the rivers dry, the water would end up being sprayed across more farm fields and orchards and lawns, without ever reaching the bone-dry forests that are fueling the latest disaster. There's simply no pathway by which the water that flows into rivers might have instead been used to prevent forest fires.

A real President might avoided using this tragedy to score political points at all, and stuck to praising the firefighters or promising swift support to the victims. Or they might also have used it as a teaching moment to say something about very likely causal link between climate change and recent wildfires. But this very stable genius thinks that's all a Chinese hoax.

Anyone who defends Trump on this issue risks a ban unless your post is fully factual and flawlessly reasoned.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
BobbyHead
Tampa, Florida

BobbyHead on Aug 6, 2018August 6th, 2018, 12:15 am EDT
Man, whatever's happening to our country, hope it ends soon. Trump is just making things from bad to worst. Not only is he against immigrants, he's also against the environment now.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 6, 2018August 6th, 2018, 11:22 am EDT
Trump is a liar, plain and simple. If that is ever fully understood by enough people, support for him may dip sufficiently, and we will be rid of a very ignorant and very evil person who has done a great deal of damage to many people and to the planet. As for the relationship of extreme weather and climate change, I also just heard a good analysis on public television echoed in this clear article: https://grist.org/article/the-world-is-hot-on-fire-and-flooding-climate-change-is-here/
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 7, 2018August 7th, 2018, 4:36 am EDT
"Trump is just making things from bad to worst."

Good choice of words - not "worse" but "worst"! As in worst president ever! He is a pathological liar - he just can't tell the truth no matter what. Look at him saying "no collusion" over and over and over and...NOW, they're trying to say collusion (with an adversary foreign power) isn't even that bad. Well, well, let's see what the Constitution of the United States of America says about that:

Article III, Section 3

"Treason against the United States shall only consist in levying war against them, OR IN ADHERING TO THEIR ENEMIES, GIVEN THEM AID AND COMFORT." Caps for emphasis, folks...you tell me Trump isn't committing treason EVERY TIME he deals with Russia! Even the stupid Republican Party can see this, but then again, they're not doing a whole lot to stop him, in fact many are trying to protect him. Which makes them all criminals by proxy, after all harboring a fugitive is a crime in itself. Along with perjury, obstruction of justice, profiting while serving in an executive position...

The noose is tightening, with more and more former Trumpers turning on him and even writing tell-all memoirs about their troubled times in his "administration" (read: cluster-fuck of rapid turnover). People are finally waking up to his lack of abilities to govern, his self-servingness, and his lies. There was story I read recently online in which a former Trump fan says, post-Putin meeting, "There is some shit I will not eat. I am through with defending Donald J. Trump." As the farmers and factory workers slowly realize they're getting screwed royally by their "savior" and his useless trade wars, they'll turn on him. After all, many former Obama voters voted for the flaming orange asshole in 2016. Think they're feeling good about that decision now?? With the Republicans STILL trying to kill Obamacare? (Just had a friend talking about his Obamacare and how it helped him the other day...)

Patience, my friends. Just keep your surfboard handy for that Blue Wave in early November!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Hunter1
Hunter1's profile picture
Maryland

Hunter1 on Sep 2, 2018September 2nd, 2018, 1:40 am EDT
Please, Can we talk about the river's , with out getting political . We get bombarded all day long as to who and what party is at fault. I fish at A.I. VA some times, The NPA is changing the island , making the beach smaller. We will eventually lose the ORV beach also. This was started under the President Obama Terms. I don't call him names. I read this forum to learn about FF. Just my two cents. Thank you.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 2, 2018September 2nd, 2018, 4:17 am EDT
Please, Can we talk about the river's , with out getting political

When politicians stop trying to suck rivers dry for irrigation, or make it legal to dump toxic waste in their tributaries, or otherwise threaten rivers and fisheries and the science that helps protect them--then yeah, we can leave politics out of it. It would be great if conservation of aquatic resources were an area of broad bipartisan agreement. But it isn't.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
RleeP
NW PA - Pennsylvania's Glacial Pothole Wonderland

RleeP on Sep 2, 2018September 2nd, 2018, 5:15 am EDT
I have to agree with Jason... Being offended by Trump's policies and statements, particularly on the things that affect our sport does not of necessity make you a frothing partisan Democrat. Nor is it "political" other than in the sense that Plato defined politics; as the study and sum of all public interactions between concerned citizens. It isn't either of these things, but rather a willingness to stand and be counted in defense of the things that matter to us.

Unfortunately, at this point in time, Trump and (largely) the Republican party are the main enemies of our sport. This doesn't make all Democrats our allies. Far from it. Some of the Democrat's nannyist notions are enough to, as my Dad used to say, "physic a woodpecker". But we choose our battles based upon what matters to us. In terms of laws and regulations that support and protect the well being of the resource that allows our sport to exist, there isn't any real question which party at present is on our side and which is not. This isn't nearly so much about politics as it is about acting in concert with our own best interests.
Hunter1
Hunter1's profile picture
Maryland

Hunter1 on Sep 2, 2018September 2nd, 2018, 10:52 am EDT
So ,I'm supposed to hate all Dems for Changes on A.I. VA. . It happened under Obomas rule.I don't want to see the river's messed up either. That's why you have the right to vote. I was on another forum , and it got so political it drew all the nut's, communist and other way left and far right nut's to the point, every post was political. I hope this won't happen here. Nothing's going to happen till you vote and change the President or member's of congress who are the one's really in bed with big business .I don't want nobody to take offence of what I'v said. Thank you.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 4, 2018September 4th, 2018, 3:29 am EDT
What Jason and Lee said. This forum isn't consistently political, nor does Jason tolerate nuttiness. So no worries. But Jason, I, and many others here are committed to protecting our rivers and streams, and as long as Trump and other members of his administration are threatening our waters and fish we will speak out from time to time, sharing facts and calling out the lies and lunacy coming from Trump's administration.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply