Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 10:17 am EDT
Perhaps it is best to stick to fly fishing. It certainly keeps the blood pressure down. And we may have to agree to talk about other things if a discussion of politics gets unpleasant. However, I have several good fly fishing buddies who are Trump supporters, and as frustrated as I get by what I consider their uninformed hero worship of a scumbag, I think it's done me (and perhaps them) good to engage with them from time to time, and to have to remember that their friendship is more important than anything else. As irritated and disappointed as I sometimes am, and as tempted as I get at times to just write one or more of them off, I believe it would be a failure of my humanity to do so. And a failure of my belief that we are all entitled to our opinions. Ultimately I believe that I must try to hear them out--and bring facts to bear when I believe lies are being believed and spread. Trump is a proven liar, so this becomes even more difficult when he's worshiped like an untouchable god, and his ideas from his tweets are circulated like scripture. So, this post, full of Trump bashing, is also meant as an embrace of my fishing buddies with whom I differ and an affirmation of our common humanity and love of the sport.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 10:22 am EDT
How about we just stick to fly fishing 😉
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 10:33 am EDT
Works for me. All best wishes.

--Fred Chappell
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 12:11 pm EDT
wow, yea Trump might be scumbag, but what do call bill and Hillary?

Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 31, 2018March 31st, 2018, 4:27 pm EDT
Irrelevant.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply