Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Strmanglr
Strmanglr's profile picture
Strmanglr on Dec 9, 2012December 9th, 2012, 11:50 am EST

Maybe u all have seen this, I don't fish there much, nice to have purely as a safety precaution.
Strmanglr
Strmanglr on Dec 16, 2012December 16th, 2012, 1:20 pm EST
I apologize for an incomplete post.

This is the sixth st dam(far left) in Grand Rapids, Mi. There is great fishing for steelhead, salmon, brown trout, walleye and occasional sturgeon. However a very dangerous place for folks who are don't know where the holes are, more than one has died here.

The spot marked "D" is a quarry hole where limestone was mined, i've heard that hole is in the area of 70 ft deep.

I had two friends who fell in, they hit the downstream side and said it was like a wall.

I know there are peeps here from MI so I thought u might find it useful.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Dec 18, 2012December 18th, 2012, 7:55 pm EST
Wow, that drop off at the top looks particularly nasty!
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Dec 20, 2012December 20th, 2012, 5:18 pm EST
So, how's the fishing been there lately? We've been really low on water over here on the east side (Au Sable, Rifle, Au Gres) but we just got a bunch of rain and are due for snow afterwards...about time, I'm dying to get out my cross-country skiis and ice-fishing gear!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Strmanglr
Strmanglr on Dec 21, 2012December 21st, 2012, 5:20 pm EST
The goldish Brown dots as I understand are rock structures placed by ACOE.

Dnr says good, of course, shh, me thinks mdnr hypes a little or more.

People spend way more time there than me, not a fan of concrete.

Occasionally I'll stop by, more of a test run for the day before hitting other spots.

Quick Reply