Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Case view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
It's only barely visible in one of my pictures, but I confirmed under the microscope that this one has a prosternal horn and the antennae are mid-way between the eyes and front of the head capsule.

I'm calling this one Pycnopsyche, but it's a bit perplexing. It seems to key definitively to at least Couplet 8 of the Key to Genera of Limnephilidae Larvae. That narrows it down to three genera, and the case seems wrong for the other two. The case looks right for Pycnopsyche, and it fits one of the key characteristics: "Abdominal sternum II without chloride epithelium and abdominal segment IX with only single seta on each side of dorsal sclerite." However, the characteristic "metanotal sa1 sclerites not fused, although often contiguous" does not seem to fit well. Those sclerites sure look fused to me, although I can make out a thin groove in the touching halves in the anterior half under the microscope. Perhaps this is a regional variation.

The only species of Pycnopsyche documented in Washington state is Pycnopsyche guttifera, and the colors and markings around the head of this specimen seem to match very well a specimen of that species from Massachusetts on Bugguide. So I am placing it in that species for now.

Whatever species this is, I photographed another specimen of seemingly the same species from the same spot a couple months later.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Sep 11, 2018September 11th, 2018, 1:02 am EDT
Louis-

that one brings back some memories...my dad served alongside British troops in the CBI Theatre of WWII, in the Engineer Corp and he had a LOT of stories to tell.

He'd relate terms such as 'konk' for a nose, 'pong' for a real stink, and the bollocks you mentioned, among others- some of which were pretty scatological in meaning.

back on the fly, streams and rivers in W MI are slooowly receding after a season's worth of rain in one week- I haven't been in the water for a while now, simply too high and un-wadeable when flows are 900% of normal.

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 11, 2018September 11th, 2018, 7:08 am EDT
Yeah, it's been raining for days here. The little spring creeks sometimes fish well as they are rising or dropping with some color. I lost a big fish in one about a month ago; perhaps it's time to go back and see if the hook will hold. Tight lines!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Sep 14, 2018September 14th, 2018, 12:52 am EDT
Louis,

Here are the current levels of some of the streams you fish;

Penns - 2,530 cfs
Codorus - 248 cfs
Tully - 485 cfs Double the flow I would consider fishing
Spring Creek - 363 cfs - high but fishable with split shot
Little Juniata - 1,350 cfs about 4X the best flow
Yellow Breeches - 918 cfs
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
DocWet
Erie, PA

DocWet on Jan 28, 2019January 28th, 2019, 2:07 am EST
How about a step-by-step procedure for up-loading jpg. files...Your formatting rules make no sense to me, or my son (the computer guru)...DPW
My favorite trout stream picture; below, shows what a first class trout river looks like. The lack of stream gradient means that this river is not subject to the roaring scouring floods so common here in PA. that wipe out everything in the river.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jan 28, 2019January 28th, 2019, 3:57 pm EST
DocWet,

How about a step-by-step procedure for up-loading jpg. files...Your formatting rules make no sense to me, or my son (the computer guru)...DPW

It really isn't all that hard but you do have to have an account with an image hosting service. I used to use Photobucket but about a year ago they stopped allowing the transfer of private pictures to a 3rd party web site unless I was willing to "upgrade" to a new level that charges a fee.

But once you have an account someplace it is a pretty easy matter of locating the picture you want to post onto Troutnut and then just follow the instructions. Scroll down and click on the "Forum Code Page". Go down to the sixth line "Image" and apply those guidelines. Simple.
DocWet
Erie, PA

DocWet on Aug 17, 2019August 17th, 2019, 1:17 am EDT
Still have not figured out how to put a jpg file on this site.
My favorite trout stream picture; below, shows what a first class trout river looks like. The lack of stream gradient means that this river is not subject to the roaring scouring floods so common here in PA. that wipe out everything in the river.
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 21, 2019August 21st, 2019, 2:28 am EDT
Still have not figured out how to put a jpg file on this site.

Gp to the Forum Code Page. Go down to the sixth line "Shows an Image". But remember you typically need an account at a photo server site where you can upload lots of your pictures and then capture them and put them on your posts on this web site or any web site.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 31, 2019August 31st, 2019, 8:52 am EDT
Matt, I was just looking around and saw this thread. I totally missed your post from September 14. The creek I was talking about isn't listed. It is really small and off the radar for many guys. I'll tell you about it next Wednesday.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply