Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Apr 14, 2018April 14th, 2018, 9:56 am EDT
Hey guys, went out on the Neversink for awhile today and had a look around, saw a lot of little dark flies, may be the little black stone fly? Hard to tell cuz looked like Caddis too. Looks like about a size 16? Any pics of available of this species would be great.

Thanks
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Apr 14, 2018April 14th, 2018, 10:03 am EDT
If it’s caddis maybe Apatania? Not sure if too early right now for them thiugh
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Apr 14, 2018April 14th, 2018, 12:39 pm EDT
I saw the Little Black Stonefly (also called the Winter Snowfly) a couple of weeks ago in northern WI.

http://www.wiflyfisher.com/Little-Black-Stonefly-Hatch.asp
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Apr 14, 2018April 14th, 2018, 1:04 pm EDT
Thank you for the link w the pics!! This is clearly NOT what u observed today so must be caddis .
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Apr 15, 2018April 15th, 2018, 9:59 am EDT
Trying Googling "chimarra caddis" that might be what you saw.

I guess you also posted on the SGM forum.

HTH.
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Apr 15, 2018April 15th, 2018, 1:23 pm EDT
Yes you are correct, I believe that I saw Chimarra thanks 😊
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 16, 2018April 16th, 2018, 2:14 am EDT
Little black stones should be showing up in these parts any time now. I have seen them in March on the Huron and Red Cedar Rivers downstate. Not this year, though! In fact, we have had absolutely zero insect life of any kind yet this year. Been a cold one and that's not over yet.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Apr 16, 2018April 16th, 2018, 12:05 pm EDT
What are goodnikitation patterns for the little black stones and how would one fish them? 😊
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 16, 2018April 16th, 2018, 4:09 pm EDT
I think maybe a dark Elkhair Caddis, black with grey wings? About a #14-16. Thing is, I've never seen fish surface feeding at this time of the year...? Too high, too fast, too cold? Here in MI I have never seen any dry fly activity (i.e. hatches heavy enough to bring fish up top) until we have some fairly warm weather - which we have none of this year. Early season is gonna be ssssslllllooooowwwwww around here...

The earliest dry fly activity I have ever seen here in MI was on the Rifle back in 2012, after a short winter and early spring, on the 13th of April. Early brown stones, imitated by a brown EHC, which brought three strikes but no hook-ups. Consolation prize was a beautiful 14-inch brown that slammed a streamer on the way back down to the car!

Hard to imagine right now...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Apr 17, 2018April 17th, 2018, 4:45 am EDT
Ok sounds good and I hear you about the lack of dry action early season so maybe fishing it wet could be productive?

Congrats for the brown

Thanks Johnathon,

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 20, 2018April 20th, 2018, 12:45 pm EDT
I see Little Black Stoneflies all over the lower WB of the Delaware if I go up in mid April. I have seen them flying over the river and have seen fish rising to them while doing spring yard clean-up.

I tie them on a #16 dry fly hook, very simple, no tail, wrap a abdomen with black floss or black fur, tie in a hank of light gray or white Antron for the wing. Tie it so it lays down on a 45 degree angle, then 3-4 turns of a good black hackle. That is all there is to it.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Adirman
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Apr 21, 2018April 21st, 2018, 2:03 am EDT
Thanks Matt, you fish this pattern wet or dry?
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 21, 2018April 21st, 2018, 11:58 am EDT
It's a dry pattern, and one a favorite Delaware guide showed me years ago. It's a great pattern!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply