Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on May 17, 2011May 17th, 2011, 5:45 am EDT
I know this is a little unusual tie for this site as most are of insects , but I think I've solved a few flaws that were in my earlier version. This one should be easier to cast and have a clearer silouette
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 17, 2011May 17th, 2011, 11:51 am EDT
Tremendous job of imitation Fred. A lot of our high elevation Sierra lakes are full of amphibians, and I think this fly would be a real big trout fooler for those "cruising the edges of the pads". Care to share how you created such a realistic body?

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 17, 2011May 17th, 2011, 3:22 pm EDT
I'm really curious about the body, too!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 17, 2011May 17th, 2011, 5:25 pm EDT
I LOVE IT!!!! So will the bass...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on May 18, 2011May 18th, 2011, 5:09 am EDT
Thanks Kurt,Jason and Johnathon . I have'nt done a sbs on this particular frog but here is a link to it's predecesser which is done in a like manner using the same foam for the body.http://www.realisticflytying.net/id12.html

Thanks , Fred
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on May 18, 2011May 18th, 2011, 8:18 am EDT
Very fun! I love the sculpted head.
FredH
FredH's profile picture
Lake Charles , Louisiana

FredH on May 18, 2011May 18th, 2011, 4:39 pm EDT
Thanks Paul. I'm waiting for a rainy, nasty weekend when I can't hit the water , to make up a bunch of these and get creative with the coloring.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 18, 2011May 18th, 2011, 5:59 pm EDT
Hey, I got my first popper-caught bass of the year today! A nice fat 14-incher from a different part of the marsh where I fish, sort of an enhanced oxbow lake with a berm & water-control structure. No pics, figured I'd save him the extra 30 seconds of stress and drying out since I think he may have been sitting on a nest - he came out of a spot where I had been seeing big swirls on the surface. He hit a dark brown & yellow cork-bodied popper I tied up & painted last year, sucked it in with a big loud CHOPE!!! Actually had a green sunfish get the danged thing all the way into his mouth too! Caught some other chunky pumpkinseed, greens, and hybrids out of the main pond I have been fishing on WBs and KBFs, but the bass there all have lockjaw, not even a hit today.

Fred, throw those at your big fat Louisiana bass and send us some pics of them with the Bullfrogs hanging out of their mouths!

Jonathon

P.S. Our trout streams are all high, muddy, and cold from recent rains, so I'll be focusing on bass until things get a little warmer & drier around here...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply