Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionThe continental divide
Specific Locationuhhhhh........no
Dates Fished6/09/07
Time of DayAll day
Fish CaughtCutthroat
Conditions & HatchesConditions were perfect for 11,600 ft. in late June

Details and Discussion

Sundula
Littleton, Colorado

Sundula on Jul 3, 2007July 3rd, 2007, 7:20 pm EDT
Sight fishing is the key! Waiting for patroling fish. Didn't land many only 4 but the two in the pictures are 16". All released healthy and happy. Great stuff, the temps in Denver were in the high 90's the water has been too high for my taste. So what is a guy to do? Ah yes head to the high country. Sunny and 70 with clouds blowing in around 2pm typical stuff. Perfect.

PICS are in the Photo Forum
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Jul 4, 2007July 4th, 2007, 2:37 am EDT
Gorgeous fish, and I'm sure the location can't be done justice in photos. The type of fishing you're describing is foreign to me. I'd love to try it sometime. Nice work!

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply

Troutnut.com is copyright © 2004-2024 (email Jason). privacy policy