Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

ColoradoKen
ColoradoKen's profile picture
Granby, Colorado

ColoradoKen on Oct 24, 2017October 24th, 2017, 2:53 am EDT
Hello all, i am seeking more information on the species of trout known as Ohrid Brown trout or simply Ohrid trout. Ive been fascinated with these fish since a presumed encounter on the north platte river in Wyoming below pathfinder Res. Ill share what little ive found out below via some links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohrid_trout

http://www.fishbase.org/summary/Salmo-letnica.html

https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/factsheet.aspx?SpeciesID=925

Im thinking that there is still a population on Ohrid trout in pathfinder res and also in the river below, specifically, maybe, the canyon stretch where the water becomes very deep and currents more lake like.

I also think ive encountered, through the process of catch and release, an Ohrid trout or two on or near private fishing ranches sections of the colorado river. Or.. more likely maybe, ive encountered brown trout/ohrid trout hybrids.

I wonder, for curiosity's sake, if hatchery Ohrid trout and/or Hybrids are available for purchase in america today. Cant seem to locate any hatchery "catalogs" or the like to comb through.

Here is a pic of my good friends daughter with a beautiful brown id say "looks" ohrid, to me anyway.

Ken
Tight Lines,
Ken
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Oct 24, 2017October 24th, 2017, 5:44 am EDT
Ken, the trout of Lake Ohrid, on the border between Albania and Macedonia if I'm not mistaken, are described and illustrated in James Prosek's Trout of the World. This is a beautiful book and should be on the shelf of anyone interested in the trout found elsewhere besides the US, and the variety is staggering!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Oct 24, 2017October 24th, 2017, 7:26 am EDT
Interesting post Ken. I fixed the links and picture for you.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
ColoradoKen
ColoradoKen's profile picture
Granby, Colorado

ColoradoKen on Oct 24, 2017October 24th, 2017, 9:40 am EDT
thanks jason. Jonathon, ill put that book on my list to read this winter, thanks.
Tight Lines,
Ken
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Oct 24, 2017October 24th, 2017, 12:31 pm EDT
Wow. That is something special no matter how you look at it. Nice size fish she is holding.

I have never heard of such a trout, and it surely doesn't belong here, but neither does the brown, rainbow, or brookie, just to name a few. But I'm not complaining. It's a beautiful fish no matter what.

Good job catching it, and I hope you find someone who has the answers to this fish mystery. And if you do, tell us about it.

Thanks for posting this.

Quick Reply