Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bobbyg
North Carolina

Bobbyg on May 17, 2010May 17th, 2010, 3:07 am EDT

Sorry! When I posted my softhackle sulphur post I did not see the "add picture option", only the "submit message" block.

I must not be doing something correctly?
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

- Henry David Thoreau
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on May 17, 2010May 17th, 2010, 4:42 am EDT
The fly looks great! What hook are you using?

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 17, 2010May 17th, 2010, 6:08 am EDT
I'll second that question. And great looking fly!!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Bobbyg
North Carolina

Bobbyg on May 17, 2010May 17th, 2010, 7:02 am EDT
Well, I guess you guys can see the photobucket pic?
I'm unable to see it!!

I'm not a fly tyer only an obsessed fly angler but thank you for the kind words!

The hook is a Grip #14723BL. I believe it was specifically designed for emerger patterns? I also believe that Daiichi makes a hook so similar it is almost impossible to tell the difference. It's a #1250

Mark, your flies are excellent in every detail! I particularly like the Li'l Dorothy and the Tups! Thank you for putting them up.
Do you think they would be as effective with the Grip or Daiichi emerger hook?
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

- Henry David Thoreau
Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on May 17, 2010May 17th, 2010, 9:10 am EDT
Grip Tups

Click on the link. You tell me! I've heard some complaints about the these Grip hooks that the wire is too soft. There are other hooks of similar shape. Daiichi 1150 I think. The wire is a bit heavier.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Bobbyg
North Carolina

Bobbyg on May 17, 2010May 17th, 2010, 9:54 am EDT
I surely don't feel they would be any less effective. Looks good!
More natural looking to me.

My guy uses the Daiichi 1250, of which I posted above.

- Henry David Thoreau
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on May 17, 2010May 17th, 2010, 10:17 am EDT
I'm not getting a pic ?

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on May 17, 2010May 17th, 2010, 3:39 pm EDT
Sulfur Emerger

Try the link, JAD.

Mark

Gutcutter
Gutcutter's profile picture
Pennsylvania

Gutcutter on May 25, 2010May 25th, 2010, 1:31 am EDT
mark
check out the tiemco 206BL hook. although not exactly the same hook, it is similar and i can attest to it's strength. awesome fly. beautiful.
but the brown trout print is even more beautiful. got mine in the mail yesterday. being framed this week. thanks
tony
All men who fish may in turn be divided into two parts: those who fish for trout and those who don't. Trout fishermen are a race apart: they are a dedicated crew- indolent, improvident, and quietly mad.

-Robert Traver, Trout Madness
Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on May 25, 2010May 25th, 2010, 2:50 am EDT
First, an explanation. The Sulfur Emerger photo is Bobbyg's. People were having problems seeing it, so I simply posted a link to it so people could. It is a very nice looking fly. Reminds me of one tied by Allen McGee.

Tony,
Glad you like the print. I guess it arrived in good condition.

Mark

Quick Reply