Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Sup3rfly
arizona

Sup3rfly on Aug 26, 2016August 26th, 2016, 9:44 pm EDT
hi guys im part of a group of engineering students at arizona state university and we have decided to create a product for the fly fishing community. sadly the rules state we cannot say what the product is yet, but we would love it if you would take 3 minutes to take this survey to better guide us on how we can make this product something that would make a fly fishing trip better for you.

if this is in any way breaking your forum rules, please let me know i will remove the post immediately.

Thank you!

https://superfly.typeform.com/to/HPH33F
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Aug 27, 2016August 27th, 2016, 6:17 am EDT
Done.
Sup3rfly
arizona

Sup3rfly on Aug 27, 2016August 27th, 2016, 9:19 am EDT
much appreciated sir
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Aug 27, 2016August 27th, 2016, 11:44 am EDT
Done.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 27, 2016August 27th, 2016, 11:23 pm EDT
Done. For decades there was no good way to store smaller flies in the #16 - #22 range. Then the C&F fly boxes came onto the scene and changed everything regarding the ability to store dozens of smaller flies in a manner where you can clearly see every fly in the box and quite easily remove, or replace, it back into the micro slit from which it came. Now there are many knock-offs available of this concept. Some models are waterproof. I never fall in so I don't care about waterproof fly boxes.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Sup3rfly
arizona

Sup3rfly on Aug 28, 2016August 28th, 2016, 2:23 pm EDT
thank you for your input Wbranch!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 28, 2016August 28th, 2016, 4:54 pm EDT
Done. I don't think Jason, the website owner, will mind this at all.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Sep 6, 2016September 6th, 2016, 4:56 pm EDT
I wrote;

I never fall in so I don't care about waterproof fly boxes.

BTW this was a joke. In my time on the rivers and streams I have fallen in many times. Tripped is really a more appropriate term. Ever since I decided to use a wading staff because I recognize my aging has hindered my ability to wade as aggressively as I did when I was 30, 40, or even 50 I have not tripped or gotten wet from a slip. Funny though I have continued to slip and fall on my butt on clay banks.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PABrownie
PABrownie's profile picture
Gallitzin PA

PABrownie on Oct 14, 2016October 14th, 2016, 7:37 am EDT
There are other means of storing dry flys other than in altoids containers?

Quick Reply