Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Mar 31, 2016March 31st, 2016, 7:20 pm EDT
We have gone from Baetis to Hendricksons and Grannoms here very quickly. The wind has been an issue on some days but when it lays down, the fishing has been excellent. quill gordons, olives, hendricksons and grannoms all happening now at various locations.

The boy is on spring break so he and I were able to get out as well which was the highlight so far for me.We had enough grannoms to keep the fish looking up. It was a great day.

Feathers5
Feathers5 on Apr 1, 2016April 1st, 2016, 5:13 am EDT
Nice photos, Eric. Photos from top to bottom: Olive, Hendrickson and Hendrickson? I guess Henry's arm is healed enough to fish. Good for you guys. A nice father and son outing. Love it!
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Apr 1, 2016April 1st, 2016, 6:37 am EDT
Nice photos, Eric. Photos from top to bottom: Olive, Hendrickson and Hendrickson? I guess Henry's arm is healed enough to fish. Good for you guys. A nice father and son outing. Love it!

yeah his cast came off on Monday.

Top to bottom:
Baetis sp. I'd guess B. tricaudatus (BWO)
Ephemerella subvaria male (Red Quill)
Ephemerella subvaria female (Hendrickson)
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Apr 1, 2016April 1st, 2016, 11:25 am EDT

Wishin' I was fishin', things are near or at flood-stage in W Mich- crap-load of rain yesterday and flash-flood 'advisories' on my favored streams.

GREAT photos of the Hendricksons, this gives me something to shoot for in dubbing blend colors. I'm getting to work with the coffee grinder and bunny-fur!

Kudos for the report, and catch one- or more- for me. It'll be a week-plus for things to settle down here.

Tight lines,

Roguerat

'Less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 1, 2016April 1st, 2016, 12:41 pm EDT
Nice job, Eric, on your part and also your son's! As Rogue says above, we just got blown out with massive rains and there are flood warnings on the Rifle, and the Au Sable is way up too, so our trout stream fishing is still a ways away. Besides our temperatures (going back down to 31 F for a high Sunday), so we haven't seen any Hennies or Red Quills yet, I am totally envious...my first trout-outings (troutings??) will likely be still waters, with Reid Lake open right now (waiting for a warm day with less winds to launch the kayak!) and [REDACTED] Pond opening on the 30th (probably what I will do for opener to avoid the crowds).

Nice photos, your grass looks a lot greener than ours!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Apr 2, 2016April 2nd, 2016, 6:43 am EDT
The mayfly pictures have me jealous! I've only just started to see some bwos when I fish. I can't wait till the hatches get rolling a little better.

The opposite of you Eric, I'm taking my dad fishing tomorrow! I hope the bwos make an appearance for us....
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 2, 2016April 2nd, 2016, 9:55 pm EDT
Wow, I've not seen a single mayfly, except for some little Baetis up on Spring Creek, all season and I've been out six times.

BTW is that the lower end of the Allenberry water on the YB in the photo where your son is playing a trout? It looks like there are very few other anglers.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Apr 5, 2016April 5th, 2016, 8:21 am EDT
five below zero along Michigan's AuSable this morning. might not seen hendricksons for a while
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 5, 2016April 5th, 2016, 8:48 am EDT
Great photos. My fish have been mostly interested in olives and midges. Landed my first 18" fish of the season last week on a size 22 or 24 zmidge, and a bunch in the 16" range on an iron lotus. Have had one or two around 16" on olive dries over the past 2-3 weeks, and a number of fish an inch or two smaller. All wild browns. Haven't seen much else in terms of bugs besides a few odd caddis. But I anticipate hennies and various quills in the film very soon just a bit north. It's coming.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 5, 2016April 5th, 2016, 4:02 pm EDT
Three to five inches of snow on the way tonight...on top of what we already have. Had to postpone Botany Lab until next week due to snow cover on top of my plant collection sites. Rivers are blown out by rain and snow melt, shallow ponds freezing back over...

Glad someone's out having fun!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Apr 8, 2016April 8th, 2016, 12:57 pm EDT
"five below zero along Michigan's AuSable this morning. might not seen hendricksons for a while"

Tim,

Liked your email to me about the Hennies you sent me..."may have to knit some little sweaters for them"...More snow predicted for this evening...As Jonathon implies above, the calendar says Spring, but someone's not listening...:)

Spence

PS...You want the job of knitting those little sweaters? ;)

Thanks again for the care package!
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
TNEAL
GRAYLING. MICHIGAN

TNEAL on Apr 9, 2016April 9th, 2016, 7:36 pm EDT
Spence,
You are welcome.60 degree weather should be here by the 16th... first Hendricksons will come on the North Branch around the 18th...

Quick Reply