Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Oldredbarn has attached these 20 pictures. The message is below.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 26, 2015October 26th, 2015, 1:56 pm EDT
Here is some pics for you...Sorry no pics of Spence with fish...Sometimes an honest fishing report has little or no fish involved. :)

Actually there were many salmon in the river...I hooked one real steelhead...He jumped twice and blasted into some submerged crap in the river and severed our connection. Caught a couple small fish...

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 26, 2015October 26th, 2015, 3:28 pm EDT
Nice pictures, thanks for posting. That looks like crappy fly water but great centerpinning opportunities. All you need to pin effectively is a good pin reel, a 12' - 15' rod and just enough flow to get the reel spool running and taking the float down river.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 26, 2015October 26th, 2015, 3:34 pm EDT
Matt,

Those pics are of the lower river...The first pic is of the upper river. Yes the lower river is wide open and deep.

It was still dark when we started out on the upper river...I should of got more pics there, but fishing hard.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Oct 29, 2015October 29th, 2015, 7:12 am EDT
Spence-

NICE! You took more than a 'three hour tour', all the way down into the marshes and all.

Pier-fishermen are a breed apart, they're out there regardless of weather it seems.

Were there any surf-fishermen on the beach? Years back I saw guys using crazy-long spinning rods, a huge pyramid weight with whatever they used for a lure or bait, and chucking the whole thing out to the farthest sand-bar or so; then they'd put the rod in a holder, sit in a lawn chair, and wait...and wait. Sure didn't look like fun to me.

Gotta' love Michigan...

Roguerat

'less is more...'

Ludwig Mies Vande Rohe
TimCat
TimCat's profile picture
Alanson, MI

TimCat on Oct 30, 2015October 30th, 2015, 3:52 pm EDT
Lovely pics. Those guys seem to have to "run the gauntlet" before they even get in the river. ha
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
Oldredbarn
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Oct 30, 2015October 30th, 2015, 6:42 pm EDT
Rogue,

No surf fishermen, but I did see a couple guys sitting in lawn chairs down on the lower river with rod in a holder, just sitting there...

There seems to be a consensus among the pier boys in terms of technique etc...They all had similar rods and reels, and seemed to have their own area. I wonder how they decide which sections of the pier "belongs" to whom, etc...

Spence

Quick Reply