Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Tomsix1
Tomsix1 on Feb 18, 2015February 18th, 2015, 1:11 am EST
Hey Guys,

anyone of you use this Cap ? Or another Cap with an Patch for flies ?
I found it on the Internet and think it would be cool and useful !

http://www.justfly-fishing.com/shop/caps/3/flybox-cap

Live 4 flyfishing
Bver
nj

Bver on Feb 18, 2015February 18th, 2015, 7:36 am EST
Really cool concept, looked for something similar at a lower price and found this:

http://natureboydesigns.com/post/55848670697/nbd-hat-ch-patch
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 18, 2015February 18th, 2015, 11:36 am EST
Who in the world is going to spend $35 for a fancy baseball cap?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
MiltRPowell
MiltRPowell on Feb 18, 2015February 18th, 2015, 12:17 pm EST
Wbranch, I heard that, plus I like keeping my flies in my vest, safe & dry. Plus Trout Unlimited gives you a nice hat & more, and your money is very well spent, not a ad for fly company, or whatever. But to each there own...Concept is first tree branch got some of those baits. Sorry Bver, ya asked buddy....
flyfishingthecreekM.R.P.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Feb 18, 2015February 18th, 2015, 3:26 pm EST
I keep my day's working flies on a fly keeper/"drying patch" on my vest where I can see them. I liked a wool patch but I lost too many flies with them. So I went to strips of adhesive backed window insulation from hardware stores. It's s soft foam rubber that holds flies of all sizes really well, is durable, and a 3"x1/2" strip holds a bunch of flies in a small space. Peel and adhere to my vest. Not pretty like wool but in drab gray color is not noticeable either.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 18, 2015February 18th, 2015, 4:00 pm EST
I use a need C&F fly protector.

http://www.c-and-f.co.jp/c_and_f_e/accessories/fly_chest_patch/index.html

It is a foam fly patch similar to the C&F fly boxes except it has a big safety pin on the back so you can pin it on your vest. I has a translucent gray cover to protect the flies from falling out of the micro slits. That has never happened to me.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Feb 18, 2015February 18th, 2015, 4:33 pm EST
Here's the stuff I use. Local hw store sells it by the foot. "One foot. please." A 3" strip is good to go for a season or two:

Tomsix1
Tomsix1 on Feb 19, 2015February 19th, 2015, 9:25 pm EST
Thanks for your opinion, i buy one.
Think its cool :)
Live 4 flyfishing

Quick Reply