Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

BigTrout
BigTrout's profile picture
BigTrout on Oct 26, 2011October 26th, 2011, 1:43 pm EDT
Hey everyone, I have recently found this fishing forum and checked it out a little bit. Seems pretty cool! I really enjoy fly fishing myself and tying my own flies. I'm from Central Utah. I look forward to viewing this forum!
The great charm about fly fishing is that we are always learning; no matter how long we have been at it, we are constantly making some new wrinkle. - Theodore Gordon
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 26, 2011October 26th, 2011, 3:46 pm EDT
Hi Big Trout,

Nice to see some newcomers to this forum - just what we need; some new opinions!
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
BigTrout
BigTrout on Oct 26, 2011October 26th, 2011, 4:10 pm EDT
Thanks Wbranch, I was also wondering how do I post pictures on here?
The great charm about fly fishing is that we are always learning; no matter how long we have been at it, we are constantly making some new wrinkle. - Theodore Gordon
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Oct 26, 2011October 26th, 2011, 4:34 pm EDT
Welcome! The people, here are very knowledgeable and helpful as well.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Oct 26, 2011October 26th, 2011, 6:35 pm EDT
To post pictures you need an account with one of those web sites like Photobucket, Flickr, or any of that ilk. Then when u upload photos from your camera, or "pictures" file to that site you can then "copy" the picture and insert it into a thread you start at Troutnut.com Just remember to change the suffix and prefix IMG to lower case img and your pictures should be visible to all. If I missed anything I'm sure other forum members will gladly make their comments.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
BigTrout
BigTrout on Oct 26, 2011October 26th, 2011, 9:23 pm EDT
Ya I have a photobucket account, can I just copy the IMG file type and copy that into this text box?
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Oct 27, 2011October 27th, 2011, 9:42 am EDT
BigTrout, I hope this helps. Just right click below.

Troutnut’s forum code
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Oct 27, 2011October 27th, 2011, 9:56 am EDT
Hi Bigtrout -

Welcome to the forum.
Ya I have a photobucket account, can I just copy the IMG file type and copy that into this text box?

Yes, it works for me anyway without any alterations. There are multiple options for file type with PB so be sure to highlight the one that starts with {IMG}, copy it and insert in the post body and you are there!

Regards,

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Keystoner
Keystoner's profile picture
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Keystoner on Nov 13, 2011November 13th, 2011, 7:55 am EST
Hey bro, welcome to the site.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB

Quick Reply