Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

JumpNotZero has attached these 2 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
JumpNotZero
JumpNotZero's profile picture
In Cognito

JumpNotZero on Apr 5, 2014April 5th, 2014, 8:40 pm EDT
Like Corixa, but not quite...
What be these bugs?
Always quit when you're through.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 5, 2014April 5th, 2014, 10:36 pm EDT
I believe them to be Backswimmers, a close relative of Waterboatmen. Not Aquatic Beetles, but rather, Waterbugs.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Apr 6, 2014April 6th, 2014, 9:01 am EDT
They are true bugs (Hemiptera) within the Belostomatidae. Cannot see enough to decide genus. Be a little careful - they can "bite" - pierce ya with a big dull needle :-) Here is a link to a pic of the poker -
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/ABL/images2/belostoma_flumineum_beak.png
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Apr 6, 2014April 6th, 2014, 2:11 pm EDT
The first one definitely looks like a Backswimmer (Family Notonectidae).
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Apr 6, 2014April 6th, 2014, 4:39 pm EDT
Hi Dave-

Be a little careful - they can "bite" - pierce ya with a big dull needle :-)

Yeah, ain't that the truth. Here is a photo I took of one several years ago:

The needle part of the beak is used to inject a toxic tissue-dissolving enzyme into the victim, which is shortly followed by sucking out all of the now dead prey's dissolved tissue. Doesn't sound like a particularly endearing experience. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Apr 6, 2014April 6th, 2014, 7:22 pm EDT
Roger - I had one hit the heel of my hand. I didn't leave it there long enough to suck! Not that much scientific curiosity....... No parts fell off but took a couple weeks to heal. That ain't no mosquito bite.

Quick Reply