Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Xavier_Carp has attached this picture to aid in identification. The message is below.
Xavier_Carp
Xavier_Carp on Sep 8, 2007September 8th, 2007, 5:26 am EDT
Does anyone knows what is this??? my best guess is that it is an aquatic hemiptera
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 8, 2007September 8th, 2007, 6:07 am EDT
You're right, it's a Belostoma water bug, which is in Hemiptera. I've got some cool closeup pics of them.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 10, 2007September 10th, 2007, 8:08 pm EDT
OK, good point, it's Belostomatidae. I thought I remembered the other genera had more distinctly different body shapes but I guess that's not true for all species.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Xavier_Carp
Xavier_Carp on Sep 11, 2007September 11th, 2007, 11:45 am EDT
Jason, thanks a lot, next time out I'll try to get an adult but at least I'll know what I'm looking for

Regards

Xavier
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Sep 12, 2007September 12th, 2007, 2:35 pm EDT
Be careful handling these guys - though it's never happened to me, they can apparently bite pretty hard, and they actually inject venom to make it hurt even more. Watch out!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 12, 2007September 12th, 2007, 4:23 pm EDT
Yeah, just look through my closeup head shots of Belostoma flumineum and you'll see why you don't want to get toooooo close. I haven't been bit, either, but word is it's not fun. One of their common names is "toebiter."
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Doublea176
Doublea176 on Mar 27, 2011March 27th, 2011, 9:25 am EDT
This is the nymph of the aquatic giant water bug. You can tell it is a nymph by the lack of wings extending over the abdomen. It is in the order Hemiptera and the suborder Heteroptera. It is either in the genus Belostoma or Lethocerus, but I cannot tell from this picture.

Quick Reply