Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Sep 8, 2016September 8th, 2016, 10:22 am EDT
Dickson Despommier, a retired professor of Public Health and Microbiology at Columbia University, and a life-long trout angler/ecologist, kindly shared with me a recently developed website that might be of interest to some of those who haunt this site.

http://www.thelivingriver.org/

Enjoy!

PS Jason, if you don't want other sites promoted, feel free to delete this post. I was asked to share, and so I am doing so.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 8, 2016September 8th, 2016, 5:03 pm EDT
Looks very interesting! Thanks Luke...Reminds me a bit, at first glance, of some of the books by Jason Randal.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Sep 8, 2016September 8th, 2016, 7:19 pm EDT
Couldn't help but notice "Caddis fly" and "Stone fly" in the Glossary. I believe they should be be spelled "Caddisfly" and "Stonefly", as only Dipteran common names are properly spelled with a space before the "fly".

And yes, I plead guilty to being an intransigent nitpicker. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
TimCat
TimCat's profile picture
Alanson, MI

TimCat on Sep 8, 2016September 8th, 2016, 7:29 pm EDT
Thanks for sharing. I'll be reading more from this site in the future.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Sep 9, 2016September 9th, 2016, 4:23 am EDT
"And yes, I plead guilty to being an intransigent nitpicker. :-)"

Oh, you taxonomist you! Lest we forget, only birds have official common names...there is no such thing as a "Canadian goose", they're Canada geese...there's no such thing as a "seagull", they are herring gulls or ring-necked gulls, etc....but I certainly get your point, only the Diptera are true flies, like the Hemiptera (I think they're now called the Heteroptera) are the only true bugs.

Which reminds me of a Peace Corps story...my (now ex-) wife and I went with a couple of friends of ours to one of the properties owned by the university I was teaching at in Chile (Catholic University of Maule), a beautiful spot called Costa Azul (Blue Coast) right on the south Pacific Ocean. In our hiking around the place, my ex and I saw an interesting insect, which was a true bug in the Hemiptera (or whatever!), and upon showing it to our friends they asked, well what is it, you entomologists? And our response was, "It's a bug!" "NO SH*T!! We already knew that!!" And I don't think our explanation helped...

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Sep 9, 2016September 9th, 2016, 5:54 am EDT
Looks like a very nice site. I will explore it. Thanks

Quick Reply