Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutbum21
Winchester, va

Troutbum21 on Aug 20, 2006August 20th, 2006, 7:52 am EDT
Jason:

I am simply amazed at how nice the new site is. I have been a fan of your work since I found the old site several years ago. As a biology teacher, I have used your site to help students involved in a stream sampling project notice the subtle differences between different aquatic organisms and to understand what they find. As a flyfisherman, I constantly find myself referring to your website for help at the tying bench.

Congratulations on having the best aquatic insect site on the web!

Thanks,

Rick McClelland
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 20, 2006August 20th, 2006, 4:08 pm EDT
Thanks! I'm glad you've found it useful for your class.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Stew
Western Oregon

Stew on Aug 20, 2006August 20th, 2006, 9:18 pm EDT
Hi Jason!
Another ifish refugee here. Looks like a nice firum I think I'll like it here.
Stew
Hillsboro, Oregon
Please Release All Wild Trout
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Aug 24, 2006August 24th, 2006, 5:51 am EDT
Hi Jason,
You probably know me from other forums. Since you are not far from where I reside, I decided to join. The site looks great! with lots of good info. I'll be suggesting it to all my friends and family that enjoy fly fishing.

My best,
Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html

Quick Reply