Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Glossosoma (Glossosomatidae) (Little Brown Short-horned Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
I caught this tiny larva without a case, but it seems to key pretty clearly to to Glossosomatidae. From there, the lack of sclerites on the mesonotum points to either Glossosoma or Anagapetus. Although it's difficult to see in a 2D image from the microscope, it's pretty clear in the live 3D view that the pronotum is only excised about 1/3 of its length to accommodate the forecoxa, not 2/3, which points to Glossosoma at Couplet 5 of the Key to Genera of Glossosomatidae Larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

RMlytle
RMlytle's profile picture
Connecticut

RMlytle on Feb 13, 2014February 13th, 2014, 6:12 am EST
Hello all,
My name is Rowan, I hail from central CT. I am an avid small stream wild brook and brown trout angler, but fish for any species any where. I also tie flies habitually and regularly blog about my fishing experiences: flyfishingcts.blogspot.com

-Rowan M. Lytle
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Feb 13, 2014February 13th, 2014, 7:23 am EST
Welcome, Rowan. Enjoy the fun.
Bruce
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Feb 13, 2014February 13th, 2014, 8:26 am EST
Welcome to the forum, Rowan.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
RMlytle
Connecticut

RMlytle on Feb 17, 2014February 17th, 2014, 9:38 am EST
Thank you all for the warm welcome.
Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Feb 18, 2014February 18th, 2014, 11:23 am EST
Rowan,

Welcome, and if you ever come west to the fine state of Michigan you'll find some fine Brook trout fishing here as well.

There are worse habits than tying flies, now that I think of it...

Roguerat

I Peter 5:7 'Cast your cares upon Him...'
RMlytle
Connecticut

RMlytle on Feb 18, 2014February 18th, 2014, 4:29 pm EST
Michigan is on my wish list.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Feb 19, 2014February 19th, 2014, 8:38 am EST
Howdy Rowan! Michigan welcomes you. There are several of us Michiganders on the web, let us know if you are heading our way and we will point you in the right direction. Okay, maybe not Spence (OldRedBarn), he doesn't like any competition on his holy waters... ;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
RMlytle
Connecticut

RMlytle on Feb 19, 2014February 19th, 2014, 10:05 am EST
Pennsylvania has some of the greatest waters on the planet. Especially in Potter county up around Galeton. That is defiantly GODS country.

Yeah, I'm originally from western PA. My father tells tales from his early days of fishing in the Allegheny National Forrest, catching brookies on a worm with some discarded line, a stick, and a bent nail.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Feb 19, 2014February 19th, 2014, 2:23 pm EST
"catching brookies on a worm with some discarded line, a stick, and a bent nail."

Well my early fly tackle was not that rudimentary but I do remember all I had was one rod, one reel, and one or two small fly boxes. It was so much easier to get onto the river when I didn't have to think about what fly boxes to put into my vest or what rod/reels to bring along.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Gus
Gus's profile picture
colorado

Gus on Feb 22, 2014February 22nd, 2014, 9:09 am EST
Hi Rowan, welcome!
"How do you help that son of a bitch?"

"By taking him fishing"

-A River Runs Through It

www.jsrods.com

Quick Reply