Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Partsman has attached these 2 pictures to this report. The message is below.

Report at a Glance

General RegionNorthern lp, Michigan
Dates Fished06/16/2020
Time of DayAll day
Fish Caughtbrookies and browns
Conditions & Hatchesevening conditions were calm wind, warm, a hatch of iso's mixed with some sulpurs.

Details and Discussion

Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jun 19, 2020June 19th, 2020, 2:42 pm EDT
So Jonathon I did all right considering I spent all day fishing and was really ready to pack it in quite early. But I stayed, and around 9:30 pm there was some good hatch going of what I believe to have been Iso's, there were also some sulphurs but I think the fish were keying in on the gray bugs. I caught two really nice fish and probably could have caught more, but I was litereally wore out. I had been up since 1:30 am and drove up, I was on the water at day break, and fished all day and into the night. I love it but I just cant go like anymore. I ended up car camping that night after I finally got out of that swamp. Geez what a mess, I fell off of some logs laid out to walk on and went up to my you now whats in muck! Oh well my wife felt sorry for me so she bought me two nights at Gates lodge next week! Cant wait.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 19, 2020June 19th, 2020, 11:36 pm EDT
NICE FISH!! Well done! And you have the world's greatest wife!

It's become an evening thing, with the long days and hot weather. Past fishing experience tells me that the middle of the day is good in May and until about mid-June, then you will find nothing at all happening during the day, dead water with no fish in it. But come evening and the right hatch, and up they come. I was on [REDACTED] Pond before Memorial Day weekend and had the same experience you had! Got out there in the early afternoon, fished all day, got tired, caught nothing. Then the sun starts going down around 7 p.m. and the brookies started popping...

I've been doing lots of field work lately involving a lot of hiking, so even though I could just fish after work, I'm too damned tired! 56 years is catching up with me, though at work I am still keeping up with a 31-year-old. Not ready to just sit on my ass in life yet by a longshot, but when I get home from a field day I sure am!

However...Joe and Todd are due up this coming Thursday! Joe will hopefully be up by early afternoon (he is taking the day off) and Todd will be in by the evening. The plan will be to hit the popular areas on Friday (or even Thursday night) before the crowds arrive, then do the bushwhacks, where no one is going to follow us, on the weekend proper. The theme is "Big fish, little fish" because I will be taking them after pike and smallmouth as well as brookies. Gotta get my house tidied up before then!

You gotta get a MeasureNet or a tape, those are some big bad brownies you got there! I bet they bent the rod over hard! Well done Sir!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jun 20, 2020June 20th, 2020, 7:50 am EDT
Jonathon, these fish are very healthy, talk about wide bodies! Im getting a little concerned about water temps and gage heights, but I guess I can go up north and chill with few cold beers and just relax. Im going to be 63 years old next week, wow its hard for me wrap my head around that, and my wife and I started going together when we were 16. The time does fly, so make the best of it.
Mike.

Quick Reply